We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OBX Newbie... advice?

Chester, Virginia
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
OBX Newbie... advice?

I'm dreaming of warmer weather and planning my beach vacation already! The last time I visted the Outer Banks I was a baby, so needless to say I don't know much about the area. My husband and I have been going to Emerald Isle for years, but we are looking for a change for our Memorial Day week trip at the end of May 2014. We actually have been to Ocracoke together a few years back, and we enjoyed it. Even though we're a younger couple we prefer the more laid back scene. Ideally I'd like to be in an area where the beach is convient (don't mind driving a mile or so and parking or driving on the beach), but not overly crowded. We don't want an area that's got too much going on, but don't want to be compeltely isolated either. Some small shops and like an ice cream place nearby would be nice and then not having to drive too far to other areas would be great. We will probably also take a day trip over to Ocracoke one day. It will just be my husband and I and our dogs. We are looking at a house from Midgett in Waves. Would you reccomend this area? We really like the house for the price, but I see there's no grocery store in the area... I'm thinking it shouldn't be too bad to go down to the Food Lion in Avon?? Like I said I'm completley clueless, so any advice or info at all would be great. Any must do/see places? Any great restaurant recomendations? Unfortunately, even though I love it I am now apparently allegic to seafood, so somewhere where my husband can eat seafood and I can order something else halfway decent would be needed. Any other suggestions/things to know...basically anything you have for Outer Banks 101 haha! I know Emerald Isle like the back of my hand but am ready for new scenery. Thanks in advance!!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OBX Newbie... advice?

You mentioned Ocracoke there is not a more laid back scene then Ocracoke . Have you considered it? Just a short drive to the beach and plenty of good food and shopping.

Waves is a nice place not to far to travel north or south to see things. You will find most restaurant offer both sea food and other choices . If you have 4 wheel drive Taking it on the beach is fun you can do this north and south of the area you are looking at but a Permit is required now, $50 a week .

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OBX Newbie... advice?

Staying in the Tri-villages of Salvo/Waves/Rodanthe is going to be laid back, but then all of the Outer Banks is very laid back when compared to Emerald Island or Myrtle Beach type areas. My suggestion is to look at South Nags Head just north of the Oregon Inlet Bridge. It runs an area from mile post 16 to 21 and has a large wide beach. There is little commercial anything there other than the Outer Banks Pier (which is worth a visit) and you are 5 miles south of Nags Head which has everything from scoop to nuts. Plenty to do or see there and you are 15 min from Manteo, 10-15 from Kitty Hawk, 20 from Duck, 30 from Waves and you can go do the day trip to Ocracoke or up to Corolla. It's just nice and central to everything while being laid back and uncrowded beaches. Yet close to everything you would want to do or go see.

Chester, Virginia
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: OBX Newbie... advice?

Well the house we were considering of course is no longer available (guess we better hurry up and book one!) so we are now looking at a house in Avon from Hatteras Realty.

4. Re: OBX Newbie... advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks