We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outer banks house rental vs. Caribbean all inclusive

Frederick, Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
Outer banks house rental vs. Caribbean all inclusive

Anyone have any insight for this comparison? We are looking at summer vacation timing to either rent a house for family vacation or travel to a Caribbean destination that is family friendly and all inclusive. What is a better deal? Better weather July/August? Better versatility? We range from 2 to 72 and would fit comfortably in a 5 bedroom house. And we would want to use a beach front property for comparison. Any help? Opinions? Experience? Guidance?

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outer banks house rental vs. Caribbean all inclusive

One thing to consider is that summer is peak season for our NC beaches but summer is considered off season for the Caribbean (for the most part) so you might get better bang for your buck in the Caribbean. Take a look at cheapcaribbean.com and other travel sites for package deals.

Now that we have seen that gorgeous turquoise caribbean water, I can't look at our beaches the same!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outer banks house rental vs. Caribbean all inclusive

Another thing to consider is that there will be grocery shopping and some meal prep involved with a house rental. If you eat dinners out, you'll have to plan ahead to be sure you can get seating for your group during the high season. Have done the coordinating for our annual '5 bedroom house on the beach' vacation with our extended family. An all inclusive sounds mighty nice to me :-)

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
427 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outer banks house rental vs. Caribbean all inclusive

I've been to the Bahamas in August and it is hot, but the prices are cheaper than the rest of the year. Honestly, probably just as hot in the OBX that time of the year and the water is like a bathtub in the Bahamas. If you can make the prices work, I would choose that too, but I own a house in Nags Head. Places like Atlantis are super expensive. Air flights are much cheaper to the Bahamas than other Caribbean locations, so make sure to include that.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 01:09
Branford...
Level Contributor
118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outer banks house rental vs. Caribbean all inclusive

I've done both. Its a personal preference; my self, I favor the obx and house rental. Did all inclusive last may in Cancun yes the beach and water is beautiful but felt trapped in the resort. Eating 3 meals a day , drinking the cheap beer supplied by the hotel, and suffering through the entertainment got old. The house rental offers choices and a great family experience.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 07:45
Branford...
Level Contributor
118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outer banks house rental vs. Caribbean all inclusive

I've done both. Its a personal preference; my self, I favor the box and house rental. Did all inclusive last may in Cancun yes the beach and water is beautiful but felt trapped in the resort. Eating 3 meals a day , drinking the cheap beer supplied by the hotel, and suffering through the entertainment got old. The house rental offers choices and a great family experience.

woodbridge,va
Level Contributor
594 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outer banks house rental vs. Caribbean all inclusive

Another thing to consider is space. In a house everyone is together most of the time, while at a resort, probably everyone would have their own rooms. It just depends on how well all get along travel wise too . I have done short trips with extended family but one year when we got the bigger house for a week it was just too close for comfort and we all eventually got on each others nerves. You want to be able to do your own thing at times. There are pros and cons of both I'd say.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outer banks house rental vs. Caribbean all inclusive

You can also rent a house in the Caribbean. We've done this on every vacation (except one all inclusive in Negril) and we love it but it's just my husband and I. We always use vrbo.com. Again, summer rates are the lowest for rentals as well. Just be sure to get trip insurance in case of a hurricane.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outer banks house rental vs. Caribbean all inclusive

If I were in your shoes and I was the one planning it (yikes!), I would choose the all inclusive. One can't beat the convenience and ease of a resort for family reunions.

NC
Level Contributor
849 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outer banks house rental vs. Caribbean all inclusive

OBX vs. Caribbean? Definitely not a hard choice for us......hands down, the Caribbean. We have been to about 20 Caribbean islands and the beaches here on the OBX do not even compare to the blue waters and white sand beaches of the Caribbean. Like jungledriver mentioned, you can rent a house in the Caribbean. The only thing that could blow a budget, especially for 5 people, is the airfare.

It's really up to each family what they want to do, so it's really hard to give advice for which vacation another family should choose. Everyone will like something different, so I would just do research for each vacation and see what the majority wants to do.

10. Re: Outer banks house rental vs. Caribbean all inclusive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks