We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from Boston

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Flying from Boston

Hello fellow trip advisors:

We've been to OBX a couple of times, and have always flown into Norfolk from Boston. Nice easy flight - easy drive. But those direct flights have gone unfortunately. Jet Blue does fly direct into Richmond and Raleigh-Durham. My family has a Sat-Sat rental in Corolla the last week of August and would like to avoid (if possible) starting or ending our vacation with hours of sitting in heavy traffic. I can do that at home.

Opinions on which airport? Raleigh-Durham seems a little further away, but is the drive better? Specific times of day we should avoid coming on to or off of the island?

Thanks in advance.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying from Boston

As I'm sure timing is everything, here are my flight options.

Arriving either Richmond at 6:59 PM, or Raleigh at 6:01 PM. I'm guessing I shouldn't hit much traffic with either of those,and would get to Corolla close to the same time.

The departure flights home are more vexing to me.

Richmond at 7:53 AM or 1:23 PM, or

Raleigh at 8:55 AM, or 4:49 PM.

Those early flights would require quite an early start, but I worry those later ones put me right in the middle of bad traffic.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
424 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying from Boston

I live in Richmond and it is a 3 hour drive to the island plus the time to get up to Corolla. The airport is east of the city so you will not run into city traffic. You will be fine that time of the night, we have a house in Nags Head and drive down Friday nights. You enter the island from Raleigh at Roanoke Island and that would be 30 mins south, plus it is a longer drive from Raleigh. I would do Richmond. Love the BOS/RIC Jet Blue flight, I've done it many times, and it seems to always be on time.

The last week in August is a little easier than the rest of the summer, but still busy. I would leave by 7:30 for the 1:20 flight just to be safe.

Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying from Boston

Getting into Norfolk ( don't even think about the other options) at 7pm will get you here on the peninsula (it's not an island at all) about 8:30pm and you won't have any traffic issues at all that late. Richmond or Raleigh will be 3 and 4 hours away so no sense using those.

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying from Boston

Direct flights vs. hanging around in Atlanta or whatever city for a couple hours to change planes, I would vote for a direct flight also. I live ten miles east of Richmond airport (Hi Barb!) And have place in south Nags Head. (I really like the Enterprise rental car folks at Richmond airport, very efficient if you reserve online). Getting on interstate 64 is very easy from the airport, traffic that time of day should not be bad, and we have made the drive in less than three hours going in the evening. Check 511Virginia.org for traffic conditions right before your trip, you can also call 511 on your cell to check for accidents, construction, etc.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
38 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying from Boston

Thanks all. Planning on direct flights through Richmond. Turns out to be both shorter in travel time (assuming I do OK avoiding traffic) and cheaper than the connection options through Norfolk.

Thanks again!

6. Re: Flying from Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 06:16