We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going from Louisville -> Corolla with 2 small kids?

Louisville, Kentucky
1 post
Save Topic
Going from Louisville -> Corolla with 2 small kids?

I am driving on August 1/2 to Corolla from Louisville, KY. My google maps route takes me through richmond, then Hampton and then across a bridge then through Chesapeake and then down and then up. Is this the best way to go? Also, any recommendations on how close to get the first day/places to stay overnight? I am dreading the hotel stay with my kids, but we have to brave through it to make it to the beach!

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going from Louisville -> Corolla with 2 small kids?

That's a good way but I think I would take a more southern RT and go through Raleigh N.C coming into the Outer Banks on NC 64.

The other route they have suggested is often crowded and congested .

Unfortunately going into . Carolla north on 12 cannot be avoided but that is typical for Corolla

I think looking for a place to stay half way would be Raleigh or Rocky Mount. That a little over half way .

Going into Corolla between 11 and 4 you will be sitting in traffic , it is just a 2 lane road so me prepared or come early and shop or late to avoid the traffic.

Grocery shopping is also bad on the week end just be warned might be better to shop on Monday afer you get there so bring enough food to last or eat out..

Level Contributor
1,139 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going from Louisville -> Corolla with 2 small kids?

I agree with fish oinc, a more southerly route would be good. Interstate 64 from east of Richmond to Hampton/ Norfolk/VA Beach area on Saturday is really heavy trafficsometimes very slow. Another alternative is route 460 across Virginia.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
152 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going from Louisville -> Corolla with 2 small kids?

I'm going to agree with Fish and Joy. We drive from Indianapolis. I-64 might be more direct - but add in the 2 hours of waiting for traffic, or traveling 45mph between Richmond and Newport News... you're better off taking the southern route through Raleigh. I've thought about trying 460 out of Richmond like Joy suggested - but haven't tried it yet. Anything has to be better than I-64.

nc
Level Contributor
480 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going from Louisville -> Corolla with 2 small kids?

Chesapeake is a decent stopover place for a hotel if you go through Richmond, Hampton etc.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,301 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going from Louisville -> Corolla with 2 small kids?

Just to clarify, US Highway 64 is the suggested route through Raleigh, Tarboro, Roanoke with less traffic.

Interstate 64 through Richmond to 168/158 is the more congested route.

Both routes having a "64" can be confusing.

Level Contributor
1,139 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going from Louisville -> Corolla with 2 small kids?

Dean, last trip to OBX we tried a variation. Took route 60 from interstate 295 east of Richmond. Turned right/ heading south onto route 106 thru historic Charles City County, crossed the Benjamin Harrison Bridge over the James River, then turned left heading east on route 10. After Smithfield, VA you have a choice of going east on route 17 and getting on 664 to head toward Chesapeake and NC, or you can continue on route 10 and join route 460 in Suffolk to head toward Chesapeake and NC.

Using route 10 was a pleasant country drive on a Saturday, and we figured took maybe 15 minutes longer than interstate 64 drive takes us (when traffic there is good!)

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going from Louisville -> Corolla with 2 small kids?

If you stay in Chesapeake overnight the night before your trip then leave REALLY early in the morning with one cooler packed for the day.... it just gives you an extra beach day.... Let the rental agency know you are around .... sometimes they can bump you up on the cleaning schedule.... At the very least, they can call you when it is ready.... We did this for 10 years before we bought part ownership of a place down there....

8. Re: Going from Louisville -> Corolla with 2 small kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2015, 05:16