We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice...Which Area to Rent Beach House for Wifes 3Oth!

MA
6 posts
Save Topic
Need Advice...Which Area to Rent Beach House for Wifes 3Oth!

Thank you for reading this post. I am a planning to rent a beach house for the week of 6/23/07 for one week.

I am looking for help in determing a location...i.e. Corrolla, Duck etc. And or if anyone can suggest a reputable renting agency.

I have never been to the Outer Banks but have travelled extensively throughout the states, Carribbean Islands, and over seas.

There will be about 10-14 of us at any given time. Looking for beachfront property with nice amenities for fun and relaxing.

Our group of friends dont necessarily need it to be a spring break area but would also like to be near a great stretch of sand and some nice restaurants and shops.

Thanks for your advice

We would be planning on driving down from Boston with or black lab...Is the drive there and back miserable with the traffice

Michigan
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Advice...Which Area to Rent Beach House for Wifes 3Oth!

Each area of the Outer Banks has its own personality ... my recommendation would be to look in Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills/Nags Head or South Nags Head. That area has a lot of large beachfront homes, as well as easy access to the amenities you're probably looking for (restaurants, shopping, etc.)

For realtors, I've had really good experiences with Sun Realty and Joe Lamb Jr. They both have good reputations and good service.

My two cents on other areas of the OBX:

Corolla/Carova - very secluded and more resort-y than further south. Lots of big houses, but not much "to do" up there. (And the drive up from the bridge bites ... it's two-lane traffic and in high season it can be rough.) Also, if you don't get beach-front property, there are not a lot of public access points along the way.

Duck and Southern Shores - beautiful area, in my opinion. Very "vaction-y" to me, but there were not a lot of larger, oceanfront homes when I looked. They're closer to things going on, but not a lot in the immediate vicinity.

Further south (Waves, Rodanthe, Salvo, Hatteras...) .. I don't have any experience down there ... from what I do know, it's more secluded and there are not as many amenities (grocery stores, restaurants, bars) as the northern communities.

Wherever you end up, you'll enjoy it! The area is still very family friendly, without that "spring break" atmosphere. (Although I heard there's a new Hooters....)

Have fun!

jen

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Advice...Which Area to Rent Beach House for Wifes 3Oth!

Hi jblaze! Based on your preference for a "great stretch of sand", I would go with Corolla. You may also consider Duck if you would like to be closer to more shops, but the drive is not that far from Corolla.

Corolla has lots of large homes to accommodate your group, good residential areas with nice community centers like Corolla Light, Pine Island and smaller ones like the Curituck Club and Monterey Shores.

Reators I would recommend include Twiddy, Village Realty, Corolla Classic Vacations and Brindley Beach. You may also consider Sun Realty. Their websites will offer information about the areas as well. Since you are bringing a dog, your options will be limited somewhat, so you should start looking as soon as possible. The areas will also have some restrictions about your dog being on the beach. That information, plus lots more can be found in the websites below:

http://www.outerbanks.org/

http://www.insiders.com/outerbanks/

http://www.outer-banks.nc.us/

Take a look and let us know what other questions you may have. Have fun planning!

MB

www.outerbankschamber.com/vguide/faqs.cfm

Phoenix
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Advice...Which Area to Rent Beach House for Wifes 3Oth!

I cast my vote for Avon/Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo. While its true there are not alot of restaurants and such in the area, its a slower pace, less traffic, yet still convenient to the Food Lion!.

www.surforsound.com is who I rented through. Surf-side, Reflections #9 - it was great!

scw
Bear, Delaware
Level Contributor
479 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Advice...Which Area to Rent Beach House for Wifes 3Oth!

jblaze, I'm not sure if I understand who the 10-14 people are and your ages. None of the realtors rent to a group of young friends. You must be 25 years old to sign the rental agreement and be family members. Otherwise, you'll void the lease. You may have to settle for two houses, if you can't find one big enough for your group. Plan on a two day trip down from Bean Town. I recommend the Nags Head area. It's the most commercialized section of the OBX. South Nags Head would offer you the least crowded beaches and the closest area to shops and restaurants. Corrolla and Duck have always seemed a little too upper crust for us. (If you want the spring break feel, try Virginia Beach.) All of the realty companies we've dealt with have been great. Searching the web for outer banks + vacation rentals should give you 3-4 pages of companies to choose from. Get started now, it's already late in the season to be looking.

Steve

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Advice...Which Area to Rent Beach House for Wifes 3Oth!

I was wondering the same thing about ages so I looked elsewhere and see you're wonderfully exciting people in your late twenties. So I think you have the age thing covered.

The mid section of the Outer Banks is the liveliest...but some say it's the most crowded, whatever. North of the middle is increasingly more space, more nature, more large homes as you go north...what are nicknamed 'reunion houses' since they can accommodate..oh, some 30 people I think..with tons of master bedrooms and full bathrooms and theater rooms, excercise rooms...right in the house. Not 'pack 'em in there' kind of places, but very nicely done. The 'middle' has many of those enormous homes as well.

South of the middle is, again, increasingly more nature. It seems less activity as you go south than as you go north.

So there's lots to offer for all kinds of people.

The thing is....rental homes have a max occupancy so you'd have to gear towards that even though some people wouldn't be there the entire time. In the past, I've seen some rental companies state they are renting to families in order not to get a large group of singles. They do want to know how many adults, how many children, etc. Explore the rental company sites or give them a call. We use villagerealtyobx.com, resortquest.com and corollaclassicvacations.com (but that's just Corolla). There's many other good ones listed on this forum.

You will have a terrific time. You can porch sit and stretch out on the beach all you want....and kayak, canoe, fishing, take eco trips by canoe and plane; take a tour of the wild horse area to the north; hang glide; great wind for real professional high-end kites; the most amazing sunsets at....Sunset Grille. Terrific photo ops. Delicious food....in restaurants, and, excuse the old school word "yuppy"...but such yuppy services as people who will shop for you before you arrive and have your refrigerator stocked, caterers who will deliver freshly prepared food to you, and caterers who will do your dinner...such as a night of b-b-que ribs! And, of course, golf.

Ask more questions as you fine tune your trip:)

MA
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Advice...Which Area to Rent Beach House for Wifes 3Oth!

Thanks for all the advice. To clear things up we are 28-32 year olds looking for some rest and relaxation with nice amenities...no spring break feel....

I appreciate the help....yes it is late to be looking but the house we had secured fell through due to the owner selling

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
586 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Advice...Which Area to Rent Beach House for Wifes 3Oth!

I would suggest Duck and above. Corolla can get crowded and even a traffic jam when it rains. A lot of little shops and kid things there. Stan White has some nice houses too. Most people cook. Tommy's market in Duck is expensive but has gourmet items. Food Lion is just as you come over the bridge on the island and in Corolla. There is a brand new market across from Ocean Sands which is very convenient and cuts down on drive time to Corolla. No matter where you land it is beautiful! Walmart has all the bbq, swim things and crabbing supplies you need. went deep sea fishing out of an area further south(up at 6!!) for sunrise fishing and made a day of it down there.

Grand Rapids...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Advice...Which Area to Rent Beach House for Wifes 3Oth!

Stay away from Surf or Sound Realty. My Disaster Summary:

Surf or Sound Realty "Bermuda Dunes" #12 - Hatteras IslandAvon.

Paid $3940, including $560 security deposit for the "Bermuda Dunes" condo with Surf or Sound Realty. Top dollar, prime season August 12 - 19, 2006.

4 of the 7 days, Tuesday through Friday, the living space of our rental unit was not habitable, as the air conditioning was non-functional. It was a very hot week, upper 90’s, and there was no way to cool the living quarters on the third floor to a habitable temperature. It was so hot, we had to eat in the hallway to the bedrooms, where the AC still functioned. One would think you could open the windows to cool it down, but alas, we could not. We communicated daily with the Surf or Sound maintenance phone answering machine. On Thursday, 2 small window fans were delivered to help cool the place down. Did not do much.

Finally, Friday afternoon, the day before we checked out, the air conditioning was repaired. We heard the repair guys discuss "it had to be working, because the owners were checking in next week".

For the top $$$$$ we paid, we expected better.

I discussed with the Surf or Sound staff on check-out how to compensate. I was told Dave would contact me immediately, and to expect a phone call. After hearing nothing for several weeks, I called Surf or Sound back. Discussed the situation with Dave, who agreed something should be done to compensate us. I suggested 3 days use of the condo for free. Dave proposed 1 week of “off” season for half-price, $547.50. To which I agreed. Then, I received a contract for almost $1000, including the fees tacked on. I crossed out the fees, sent the contract back, asking Surf or Sound to revise, as they had promised. The response was a letter informing me that my reservation has been cancelled for failure to pay.

Thanks, Surf or Sound for a memorable vacation. You got my money. But, it's the last time.

9. Re: Need Advice...Which Area to Rent Beach House for Wifes 3Oth!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 08:23
Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks