We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

some help for first timer

Philly
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
some help for first timer

Hi All,

I'm planning a trip to Hatteras Island in June. I've traveled a bit but never rented a house and never had a beach vacation so I have some questions which I hope you may answer:

(1) What should I look for or ask about when dealing with a realty company in renting a house?

(2) Has anyone dealt with Outer Beaches Realty?

(3) Anyone have info or photos on the Colony Drive area of Salvo?

(4) Any tips or suggestions when renting a beach house?

(5) What are the activities in the area? Seashore info, sites, things to do etc. We are parents with adult children vacationing together.

(6) Can anyone provide any description around the Salvo/Waves area?

(7) What are the restaurants and shopping nearest to Salvo?

I am really excited and looking forward to this.

thanks in advance.

NC
Level Contributor
472 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: some help for first timer

I have stayed all over Hatteras and I usually use Outer Beaches or Hatteras Realty. I like them both. Some friends use Surf or Sound Realty and they like them.

I have stayed in Salvo several times on the ocean on Colony Drive. I like the area second only to Frisco. Rondathe/Waves/Salvo has a little amusement park area with go-carts and some other things (I have never gone there so I don't know exactly what all is there). All of the restraunts and grocers are little mom and pop type places. If you want more variety go 15 minutes south to Avon or for more selection make the 30 minute or so drive back up to Nags Head. You have the Bodie Light 10 to 15 minutes to the north and the Hatteras Light 20 to 30 minutes to the south. You can fish from the surf or on the sound. Or you can rent a kiteboard, wind surf, kayak, etc; and enjoy the sound.

Salvo is a laid back, family type beach. If you just want to spend some time with your family, relax in the sun, and do a little fishing...then this is your place.

Hope this info helps.

N.C.
Level Contributor
80 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: some help for first timer

I've only rented a beach house once, and it was with Outer Beaches Realty. I would recommend them. One of the A/C units in our beach house went out while we were there, and they were very prompt in fixing it.

The house we rented was the Kingfisher. It was a great place in a great location. (Was about five years ago, so I don't know if it's still on their list.)

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: some help for first timer

Salvo is located close enough to everything , You can go north to Nags Head for shopping Or south to Cape Hatteras light house or Ocracoke for a day trip.

There is plenty to shop for right there in salvo too. However no bug grocery store you might want to go to Avon just 20 miles south to go to Food lion or north Nags Head has one to.

Restaurants every where you go so that’s not an issue

Try Google maps it will give you an idea of what the terrain is like

Tip for renting a beach house.

You need to bring cleaning supplies towels and sheets most every thing else is there .

As you new comers try this site It might help you .

http://fishoinc.tripod.com/

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: some help for first timer

Hi MrGQ,

I have rented from Midgett Realty and Hatteras Realty; the homes were very nice and clean, and the service was professional and friendly. We stayed in Hatteras and Frisco, so I'm not as familiar with Salvo. There is a bit of information about salvo here: midgettrealty.com/rodanthe-waves-salvo.htm

I highly recommend getting an oceanfront home if within budget. Check when the rates change; they should be cheaper in early June when the kids are still in school. Also if linens aren't provided, you should be able to rent them from a company like Ocean Atlantic Rentals.

The Village Grocer in Avon is a must. And, a daytrip to Ocracoke by ferry should be part of your plans, it's awesome.

Good luck!

Albany NY
Level Contributor
60 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: some help for first timer

Stay away from Surf or Sound Realty. If the owner needs something new for the house, they'll claim you broke it and charge your credit card (left as a security deposit) without any notification. Unscruplous and reminiscent of a college town landlord.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: some help for first timer

What??? The linens aren't supplied??? I rent a FL condo thru VRBO & have rented from owners on VRBO in many areas (but not yet NC) & linens have always been supplied... hmm... Is this just thru these management companies that linens aren't supplied? Seems odd.

I was going to suggest asking if beach towels, beach chairs, beach toys (boogie boards, etc) are supplied. Never had any idea routine linens wouldn't be supplied! But maybe these things are only offered when renting directly from an owner. Or maybe it's done differently in NC?

We enjoy renting directly from an owner, without the middle man.

Works well for us to rent our FL condo that way, too. Everyone seems to love it.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: some help for first timer

Most rental companies on the Outer Banks have linens supplied although some stick to just sheets -- no towels. Depending upon the house, you will also find beach toys, boogie boards, chairs, etc. This is my rental company experience as both a renter and an owner.

Grand Rapids...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: some help for first timer

Stay away from Surf or Sound Realty. My Disaster Summary:

Surf or Sound Realty "Bermuda Dunes" #12 - Hatteras IslandAvon.

Paid $3940, including $560 security deposit for the "Bermuda Dunes" condo with Surf or Sound Realty. Top dollar, prime season August 12 - 19, 2006.

4 of the 7 days, Tuesday through Friday, the living space of our rental unit was not habitable, as the air conditioning was non-functional. It was a very hot week, upper 90’s, and there was no way to cool the living quarters on the third floor to a habitable temperature. It was so hot, we had to eat in the hallway to the bedrooms, where the AC still functioned. One would think you could open the windows to cool it down, but alas, we could not. We communicated daily with the Surf or Sound maintenance phone answering machine. On Thursday, 2 small window fans were delivered to help cool the place down. Did not do much.

Finally, Friday afternoon, the day before we checked out, the air conditioning was repaired. We heard the repair guys discuss "it had to be working, because the owners were checking in next week".

For the top $$$$$ we paid, we expected better.

I discussed with the Surf or Sound staff on check-out how to compensate. I was told Dave would contact me immediately, and to expect a phone call. After hearing nothing for several weeks, I called Surf or Sound back. Discussed the situation with Dave, who agreed something should be done to compensate us. I suggested 3 days use of the condo for free. Dave proposed 1 week of “off” season for half-price, $547.50. To which I agreed. Then, I received a contract for almost $1000, including the fees tacked on. I crossed out the fees, sent the contract back, asking Surf or Sound to revise, as they had promised. The response was a letter informing me that my reservation has been cancelled for failure to pay.

Thanks, Surf or Sound for a memorable vacation. You got my money. But, it's the last time.

Cadillac, MI
Level Contributor
7 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: some help for first timer

Do not rent with Surf or Sound Realty! Our credit card was just charged for a hot tub cover that they claimed we broke. They day before we left, my Mother-in-law closed the cover after using the hot tub and said that it was fine.

They sent a letter stating that we broke the cover and a picture (that didn't have a date on it). After calling a few times and leaving messages, the General Manager called while I was at work, stating that she wasn't going to do anything.

We have rented with them twice a year for seven years. Our reputation as renters meant nothing to them!

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: some help for first timer

We used outerbeaches realty last year for the first time and had no problems. We stayed in Salvo and hubby and I found the area delightful (we usually stay in Nags Head-have been for the last 20 some years- and as much as I like that area we are getting older and wanted more peace and quiet). 20 something kids were bored but we loved it!