We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

House rental help

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
66 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
House rental help

Here's our story. My wife and I live in Raleigh and want to go with another couple to the NC Coast this September and rent a house. We "need" a pool. Otherwise, we need only 2BR. It looks like many of the houses have more than 2BR as a rule, so we're not concerned.

I know NOTHING about the outer banks beaches and the towns. Where do we want to go? Duck? Corolla?

Does anyone have any suggestions? We just want a place to hang our hats for a week; sit by our pool, hang on the beach and chill out.

Thanks!

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
413 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: House rental help

Corolla and Duck are both great areas. They both have restaurants and shopping. I find Duck just a bit more congested than Corolla, but then again it's also a bit closer to Nags Head, etc. if you want to go to those areas. If your plan is to stay poolside and beach it all week, I would go with Corolla personally. Many will argue for Duck, I'm sure.

With that said, try www.brindleybeach.com. They have at least one 3 bedroom and several 4 bedroom homes with pools. Go to their rental search page and search by desired week, minimum #of bedrooms and also check the private pool box. Sort your results by # of bedrooms so that the least come first.

Good luck.

Richmond
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: House rental help

I also vote for Corolla and more specifically Corolla Light. Corolla Light has 3 gorgeous ocean-front pools (so a house with a pool is not really necessary) and an indoor pool in case of bad weather (which is a very real possibility for Sept with Hurricanes).

I also think Brindley is great!

You should definately take a look at the Lighthouse Villas as they are very close to the beach, pools, shopping, etc, with plenty of room.

To look at the LHVillas through Brindley just search on rental unit number and go to the homes listed in the 600 range ( like 629, 630, etc.)

Michigan
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: House rental help

It really depends on what kind of environment you're looking for ....

Corolla is very developed with houses, but not a lot "going on" as far as things to do, places to go, etc. Also, consider if you want a public pool or a private pool.

Duck is quaint ... definitely a neat place to go. Doesn't seem like it has quite as much access to the beach as other communities, but it's an adorable town.

Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills/Nags Head area is more commercial. We prefer that area because of the accessibility to shopping, restaurants and attractions (putt putt, ice cream parlors, etc.).

Further south I'm not as familiar, but it's more quiet, more secluded and I believe there are more homes that are smaller ...

Wherever you land, be sure to take some time to drive through the other communities ... I'm always amazed at how different one stretch of land can be from top to bottom :) There's something for everyone on the OBX (unless you're looking for a non-stop spring break party. You have to bring that yourself!).

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
66 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: House rental help

A few votes for Corolla. Thanks for the input. I'll have to look into the sites listed.

We're fairly dull. We'll bring our weight in wine, beer and booze out from Raleigh, so we won't "need" a lively entertainment scene. Just a place to hang out.

Thanks

Lynchburg, VA
Level Contributor
499 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: House rental help

My husband and I have only stayed in the Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills area during late summer/early fall so I don't have a real comparison to offer when it comes to other spots on the banks, BUT I will offer a tid bit of advice when it comes to your communication with rental companies.

I would suggest going to www.outerbanks.org and go through their accomodations lists and link to particular rental sites. My suggestion is to not advertise you are going with another couple. A lot of the rental companies on the outer banks are really touchy when it comes to "non-family" groups. Even though you could be totally upstanding individuals that are just not related, they may just think you're out to have a fraternity party every night. I think it's just easier for them to advertise to only families instead of having to say yay or nay to particular people. I would suggest doing some research and just make sure that you don't lose out on a house you might love just because you may not be related to the ones you want to vacation with!

Hope you have a great time--my husband and I always do!

SC
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: House rental help

I agree with the poster about the Lighthouse Villas in Corolla Light. Here is one we have stayed in a number of times:

www.brindleybeach.com/book/house.html…

Also, most rental comapnies do NOT care if it is more than one family sharing a house, as long as it is families and not just a group of teens or young adults.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: House rental help

pipanale...when you say you need a pool, do you mean a pool at your rental house, or one in the community where the house is located?

MB

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,514 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: House rental help

I have actually seen 'families only' on some contracts. It could be that very recently it's a tad more pc. But the idea is still to keep the Outer Banks more family oriented. I think most people realize what a detraction it is when things are let go, the loss in tourism and the problems getting them back to being popular again, like in Virginia Beach which is now wonderful again.

I'm always asked to describe my group when going there. They don't ask the ages and are completely content with...there's an uncle and his 2 girls and their husbands and their 5 kids, and etc.etc. and two older ladies who thought they'd be fine in that first floor room, etc....all family and family like. I also know several couples who have gone together and it's been fine. Some of them suggest Brindley, too.

Village Realty, that rents a lot of Corolla Light, now says the following: "Village Realty welcomes all vacationing families and responsible groups but our contractual agreements with our homeowners do NOT allow high school or college groups. "

Others say about their homes and companies things like perfect for the family reunion; perfect for family gatherings; enjoy the Banks as a family; let us assist you in choosing the right place for your family.

Corolla Class Vacations with lovely properties says the following in their online lease: "Guest agrees that occupancy is restricted to family groups only and to the number of occupants as noted on front of lease. Leaseholder must be at least 24 years of age. Rental for weddings, to fraternities, sororities, school, church or civic groups is strictly prohibited." Again, this has to do with the contracts with owners...and there's also mention of the NC Vacation Rental Act. I have to look that up; it's got me curious.

We just always thought that if we saw a large group, say, of similar aged people that appeared to be a club that they were guests, whether paying or not, at the personal invitation of a homeowner rather than going through a rental company.

This said, anyone reviewing posts for general info and not this specifically...there are indeed homes available for wedding groups, sometimes side by side homes to accommodate all the happy guests.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
598 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: House rental help

I can honestly say that in all the years we have rented homes there, and from several different rental agencies, we have never been asked to describe our group. They've always asked how many will be in the home, though.

MB

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,514 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: House rental help

Molly, they always us ask number of people. Then if it's a large number they ask if it's a family group. In the off season with reduced rates and mini-vacation options we can enjoy an enormous house with just the two of us. In season, though, when we give the very very large number they always have asked if it's a family group. They've never just taken my money. Friends who've stayed with a couple of couples...say as 4 or 6 people have also had no trouble given the tone that they are older [than 25:)], serious, sedate people. "Jus' the facs" as we've experienced. Could be our large number was very large. I don't blame the owners trying whatever safeguards they can. Like I said there's often a person or two in our group not related, just ladies from church or the neighborhood, widows that don't get around much or something. But I'd hate to be next to a house with a spring break feel. As many people as we have, we're not rowdy.

Get answers to your questions about Outer Banks
Recent Conversations