We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teaching/Volunteering for free in Huancayo or Cusco

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Teaching/Volunteering for free in Huancayo or Cusco

Hi! I am heading to Peru for a month July 10-August 10, 2011 and I am nearly fluent in Spanish. I want to volunteer in a needy school, since I am a certified teacher for K-6th. I did this last year in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala and had a great experience. I am hoping for the same thing. I could help out in a classroom for two weeks.

So many places want you to pay to volunteer, but I know there are schools who would be happy to have help. Any school names I could reach out to?

Also, I imagine Cusco is super-touristy... is that true?

Thanks for any and all leads!

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
3 replies to this topic
Chiclayo, Peru
Level Contributor
805 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Teaching/Volunteering for free in Huancayo or Cusco

Any school in Peru will be happy to have you if you're a certified teacher and speak Spanish and English. The best way to do it, especially if you want to work for an underprivileged school, is just to show up and ask, especially since many of them have no phone lines. I've known many people who've just walked into the school of their choice and been put in front of 40 12-year-olds within the hour.

Cusco is extremely touristy, but it's not hard to get away from the crowds by heading out of the center city. If you're really looking for a genuine Andean experience without the tourists though, Huancayo or a nearby village in the Mantaro Valley would be a good choice.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Otawa
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Teaching/Volunteering for free in Huancayo or Cusco

We are now in Huancayo, we also took a volunteer program organized by Incas del Peru,

We had a very good experience in the orphanage.

We stay in La Casa de la Abuela is so quite.we reccomend this agency and also is in the Lonely planet.

Mentioned in this post
Incas del Peru
Incas del Peru
15 Reviews
Huancayo, Peru
Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
923 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teaching/Volunteering for free in Huancayo or Cusco

If you are in Huancayo, you should visit La Merced for a while. It is only a few hours from Huacanayo. The cloud forest is beautiful there, and you can take tours to see spectacular jungle waterfalls (Bayoz and Velo de la Novia), visit a butterfly garden, take a water-based hike up a river (Borgoña).

Reply to: Teaching/Volunteering for free in Huancayo or Cusco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Huancayo
More Huancayo Topics