We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waitomo Walkway at Night

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Waitomo Walkway at Night

Hi all,

I've read about the Waitomo Walkway and that at night you can head along there for more glow-worm displays. We will have a car and are staying at the Waitomo Caves Hotel. The guides say the walk is 1 1/2 hrs one way. So we're wondering if you can take a shorter version of the walk - return- either to our car or the hotel.

oh, we'll be there late feb, so as I understand it it won't be dark till quite late.. don't really want to spend the whole night walking you see. :o)

Edited: 07 February 2010, 19:52
Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waitomo Walkway at Night

Hi there,

The Waitomo walkway starts at the Waitomo Village and goes through to the Ruakuri Scenic Reserve where you then have to turn around and walk back. All up this return journey is about 8km so I can understand why you aren't that keen to walk all that way in the dark.

According to the DOC website "The Waitomo Walkway crosses Te Anga Rd, so it is possible to do part of the Walkway and then walk back to Waitomo Village along the road'. Unfortunately I haven't personally done this walk so can't tell you how long this alternative would take. I do know though that the Waitomo Roads are quite narrow and it might be a tad dangerous walking along them at night.

One walk I have done, is the Ruakuri Walk which leaves from the Ruakuri Scenic reserve. It is a loop walk which takes about half an hour and I highly recommend it. I have heard that it too has a few gloworms at night, but I would actually recommend doing it during the day. The reason being is because the scenery of interesting little caves and a rushing river needs light to be fully appreciated. Plus, the steps were sometimes a bit slippery and you wouldn't want to slip over and hurt yourself stuck out alone in the bush at night. If you do go out at night though, make sure you take a really good torch. My only complaint about this walk is that the directional signage was a bit confusing. I read in a book that if do the walk anti-clockwise the signs make more sense, but I couldn't quite work out how to do this as the walk seemed to have only one starting point and I think I ended up doing it clockwise.

Anyway, hope this helps at least a little.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waitomo Walkway at Night

thanks Oscar, it does help :o)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,445 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waitomo Walkway at Night

You can quite often see glow worms during the day, especially if it overcast. Look carefully under any dark bank overhang or in small caves. Be sure to be quiet though because these ones will not be used to people and noise and will switch their lights off at the slightest sound.

I haven't done these walks Snodge so can't comment.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waitomo Walkway at Night

Thanks Zappers :o)

5. Re: Waitomo Walkway at Night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Waitomo Caves