We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How intense is black water rafting, black labyrinth tour?

Which Waitomo Caves hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
How intense is black water rafting, black labyrinth tour?

Hi, just wondering about the black water rafting. I am 3 months pregnant and would like to do the tour.

To me it doesn't seem that intense beyond the waterfall & freefall jumps. I contacted the black water rafting company & they said the guide can take me around these areas.

The basics that I can see from various videos are walking into the caves may be slick. There are low spots to duck under. I'm more concerned if there are any rapids or high chances of being throw out of tube.

Also, I'm very fit & at this point, my belly isn't even showing. Any input or better detail of the path would be appreciated. We would really like to do this tour on our babymoon!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How intense is black water rafting, black labyrinth tour?

Hi

I have done the black labyrith. It was a few years ago but I was well into my 50's. It is all very gentle - there is running water but not what you call rapids and the jumps are not hign - barely a metre if I recall, apart from the jump at the beginning which is in the open air and is intended to get one "acclimatised" to the water. You may just tip out of a tube but you would certainly not be thrown out.

I found it a great experience - challenging if like me you have not experienced caving but not extreme and very enjoyable.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,520 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How intense is black water rafting, black labyrinth tour?

There are few places that offer blackwater rafting around the place. It is the opposite of "whitewater" rafting ie quite calm. You do it for the scenery rather than a rush.

3. Re: How intense is black water rafting, black labyrinth tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Waitomo Caves