We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Cave or Combo

Which Waitomo Caves hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Best Cave or Combo

Hi,

I'm going to be driving - starting early Auckland to Rotorua (overnight) - stopping at Waitomo caves.

Which cave/combo do you recommend? How much time for each? I am with family (wife & 10 yr old son) and want to see the best, not necessarily all.

Ref:

http://bookings.bookitsecure.com/pub/supplier.aspx?a=DWAITO&b=GLOWWO&__utma=1.1249428011.1365658629.1365658629.1365658629.1&__utmb=1.8.10.1365658629&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1365658629.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=220093209

Cheers,

Kapil

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,692 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Cave or Combo

For most people esp with children e famous "glow worm cave " is enough. This is the one where you drift in a boat. IIRC it is only 45minutes long, which allows plenty of time for lunch and the drive on to Rotorua. My group tours all do the Spellbound Tour, which is a different set of caves on private farm land and takes nearly 3hours to do two caves, with morning tea and eel feeding included. My students like it becauseit is less touristy (they are the only group there) and it feels liike a real adventure.

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
611 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Cave or Combo

If only doing one cave, my choice would be Ruakuri (with the Black Water Rafting Co) but it takes nearly 2 hours, and your 10 year old would need to be interested in the level of information that is shared on this tour. Do try to fit in the (free) Ruakuri walk, right next to the Aranui Cave. Kids would love to scramble through the small tunnels involved in this walk.

Level Contributor
16 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Cave or Combo

I did the tour with spellbound, they are awesome. My guide was a local and shared so much insights with us. The tour was very pleasant and informative. Highly recommend them.

4. Re: Best Cave or Combo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Waitomo Caves