We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waitomo caves for no swimmers

Which Waitomo Caves hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Waitomo caves for no swimmers

Hello everyone!

Me and my wife plan to go to Waitomo soon to visit the caves. Neither of us can swim (we have joined swimming lessons but cannot swim yet). Now i know there are options to visit the Dry caves but we want to enjoy the splashes and black water rafting etc.

If anyone has been to the caves could you kindly let us know if knowing how to swim is essential?

Which caves do you recommend and with which company.

Thanks

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,643 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waitomo caves for no swimmers

There are 3 tourist caves that are non swimming. The most popular "wet cave" is the actual "Waitomo Cave" itself - you ride in a boat so need for swimming. I think to do the black water rafting you need some confidence in the water as you have to jump in/abseil down cliffs etc in the dark.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waitomo caves for no swimmers

Best bet would be to email a few of the outfits and ask them... I'm sure that they'll look after you.

Ive been blackwater rafting at waitomo a couple of times, you're in a wetsuit and have inner tube so quite buoyant. Mostly the water isn't that deep and you are able to touch the cave sides. There is often a bit of paddling, and I think claustrophobia and dislike of dark would be harder to overcome.

I absolutely recommend the caving over the 'classic' caves tour!

oh, and congratulations on getting out and kearning to swim!

Edited: 15 January 2014, 07:11
New Zealand
Level Contributor
322 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waitomo caves for no swimmers

Hi, my husband and myself did the black water rafting trip years ago when there was only one operator. I can't remember what cave we did but it was fantastic. Yes you do jump off a small ledge but you have a tube and a wetsuit. As you travel in the water you float along in your tube. It is really fun and neither of us can swim either.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waitomo caves for no swimmers

You should be quite safe so don't give up on your dreams and Please carry on with the swimming lessons. Everyone should know how to swim, even if only a short distance.

Cheers.

5. Re: Waitomo caves for no swimmers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 22:16
Get answers to your questions about Waitomo Caves