We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tongariro Crossing - fitness levels

High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tongariro Crossing - fitness levels

Can someone please advise required fitness levels for this full day hike. I am planning to do the crossing in early Jan 2011.

It is not so much fitness, but strain on knees on the steeper sections that I am concerned about, as they have taken a pounding from road running over the years. I gave up running, but am still moderately fit. On previoius visits to NZ I have hiked in Aoraki National Park (Sealey Tarns etc.) and recently did approx. 20 miles in 3 days in the Sedona mountains in Arizona and only suffrered a little with knee trouble.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
343 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tongariro Crossing - fitness levels

There are two long steep climbs. The first involves many steps and the second is up a gravelly slope. There are several steep gravelly sections on the downhill section too. You will need to have good stability with your knees and ankles. Walking poles may help.

If your knees can cope with some rest stops, you should have no trouble.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,408 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tongariro Crossing - fitness levels

The worst part is the steep downhill sections with scoria(red gravel) it's very unstable underfoot and if you're in any type of hurry you can get a roll going on and your feet can get away on you. Take your time and definitely have walking poles and you'll be fine. Some of the steps and paths on the last lower section are tough on the legs too, just make sure you give yourself enough time and again you'll be fine. It's a fantastic tramp, keep your fingers crossed for a fine day, half of the beauty is in the views!

3. Re: Tongariro Crossing - fitness levels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2011, 06:40
Get answers to your questions about Tongariro National Park