We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which shoes for Tongariro Alpine Crossing

Prague, Czech...
9 posts
Save Topic
which shoes for Tongariro Alpine Crossing

Hi all,

I am planning to walk Tongrariro Crossing next week or week after next week. Was planning to wear these shoes:

thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-vindic…

but as there are news about snow and ice on the track:

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

I am not sure it will be enough. Another option is these shoes:

outdooroutlet.com/product/181069211/Garmont-…

however as I am travelling from Europe, I would indeed prefer to avoid them as these are heavy shoes and I doubt I could use them anywhere but in Tongariro (I will spend approx 10 days in Northern Island).

Any idea please?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,451 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which shoes for Tongariro Alpine Crossing

I would always wear high top boots for this walk.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,510 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which shoes for Tongariro Alpine Crossing

The weather has been severe in this area, with roads closed. I would be prepared for the worst possible conditions, and be aware that it may not be possible to do the walk at all, depending on how conditions change.

England
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which shoes for Tongariro Alpine Crossing

I would recommend high boots with suitable ankle support, but agree with Selsey that there is a possibility that the conditions will not be suitable for the walk, we were there in the summer and still had to wait 3 days for the route to be open due to high winds.

To reduce the weight and space taken up in your luggage I always travel in my hiking boots.

Also, depending on where else you are visiting on your trip there are many fantastic walks in New Zealand so you could get more use out of your boots than you think.

Prague, Czech...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: which shoes for Tongariro Alpine Crossing

Thank u all guys!

@ Charlie:

Well I do plan spend almost two weeks in the North Island so I hope there will be a day when the weather is OK.

I also always travel in my hiking boots, but since this is a flight from Europe and since I am heading to Polynesian islands afterwards, I'd prefer shoes as light as possible. I also can't imagine to walk all two weeks in NZ in these hiking boots...as they are not light...so some stroll in Auckladn or Matamata would be much better in low boots.

Well the plan has not been finished yet...just want do Trogariro and see some LOTR locations...will have car, so we can travel and I'd like to see things...any recommendation by the way?

California
Level Contributor
6,750 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which shoes for Tongariro Alpine Crossing

I traveled for 2 weeks in New Zealand with 3 pair of shoes. We did many things around water and once a pair gets soaked, they are unwearable for at least 2 days. 2 of the 3 pair were waterproof. But when a rogue wave goes over the ankles, they are out of the rotation for a few days.

Wear your heaviest pair on the plane, and have another pair or 2 for backups! I know the wisdom of traveling light and not overpacking clothes, but I don't skimp on hiking shoes and sneakers.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,684 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which shoes for Tongariro Alpine Crossing

Hi,

I hope what ever footwear you choose is well broken in before your trip? I would wear hightop (ankle support boots) for this walk.

Great advice from all IMHO including a "fall back" if you get wet. Waterproof still allows water in from the top :-(

Cheers,

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
719 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which shoes for Tongariro Alpine Crossing

If wearing or bringing boots, make sure the soles are clean for immigration. I scrubbed all the soil off ours with a toothbrush. Some friend had theirs confiscated. They will check in immigration, and forewarned is forearmed!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which shoes for Tongariro Alpine Crossing

I've never heard of footwear being confiscated before - sure they weren't stuffed with drugs?

If footwear is muddy, dirty or covered in grass seed they are usually just taken off for a steam clean. this will delay your arrival so having spotless footwear is the easiest option:)

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
719 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which shoes for Tongariro Alpine Crossing

Confiscated, no drugs but apparently beyond cleaning.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which shoes for Tongariro Alpine Crossing

My friend did this walk a few weeks ago. She said she had never been so cold in her whole life. You need decent shoes, hat, gloves (she forgot hers), and warm wind and waterproof jackets. At this time of year I strongly recommend you go with a guide. They will supply crampons and ice axes. It is an alpine walk and you are going in winter - if you are ill prepared it can turn very nasty very quickly.

This company offers a package that includes boots, clothing and alpine equipment as well as transport and a guide: www.thetongarirocrossing.co.nz/tongariro.htm. It's a pretty good deal.

Get answers to your questions about Tongariro National Park