We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tongariro National Park

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Tongariro National Park

Hello!

It will be our first time to visit New Zealand and we'll have 1 day in Tongariro National Park this coming April. I need advice on whether we spend this 1 day hiking the Tongariro Alpine Crossing or going on the chairlift to Mt Ruapehu and doing one of those volcanic short walks. Will there be much difference in scenic views? My travelling companions are LOTR fans and they want to see sights from the movie. Is it actually possible to do both? Any input will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tongariro National Park

Welcome to the forum.

The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a serious day walk of approx. 19km which will take you up to 8 hours. If you do not have reasonably good fitness and are not used to hiking then it is best not to attempt it.

The chairlift ride is a summer-only activity - I can't find the date when it will close for the season so I am not sure if it will still be open in April. If it is then it is a good alternative to the Crossing.

There are lots of good walks around the National Park. If you drive up past Chateau Tongariro as far as the road goes and then walk from the carpark to the rocky outcrops on the above left you will see some LOTR scenery.

The Taranaki Falls Track is a great 2 hour 6km loop track that heads from Whakapapa to the 20m Tarankai Falls on the Wairere Stream. Highly recommended as is the short Tawhai Falls walk 4 km below Whakapapa Visitor Centre on SH 48.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tongariro National Park

Thank you for your suggestion.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,447 posts
5,662 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tongariro National Park

You can pick up good information about the available area walks at the mentioned Whakapapa Visitor Centre (see link).

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

If you have the time there is a very good trout fishery near Turangi that is worth a stopover if driving through (see link).

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Hope you enjoy your NZ trip planning.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tongariro National Park

Much appreciated!

5. Re: Tongariro National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:26
Get answers to your questions about Tongariro National Park