We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice...1 day hike option from Taupo?

Hoover, Alabama
Level Contributor
20 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice...1 day hike option from Taupo?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. My wife and I are traveling to NZ next March from the US for a triathlon. We want to see the Crossing, but are limited in time. Is there such an option as a 1 day trip hike? We'd be staying in Taupo so would be close as far as travel back and forth.

If so, where is the start? We are pretty novice hikers, but solid fitness levels, so should be competent for the trek. We really wanted to see the emerald lakes.

All suggestions welcomed...

Thanks

Jerry and Cheryl

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,938 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice...1 day hike option from Taupo?

The TC is a 1 day hike, and yes, there are transport options from Taupo, but it will add 3 hr (return) to an already long day as well as limiting you to the shuttle time. Better to stay in Turangi or National Park if possible.

http://www.adventureshuttles.co.nz/

Do not underestimate the Crossing. I get that you are marathon fit, but you need to pack for all weather conditions & wear boots with good ankle support rather than regular sports shoes.

Hoover, Alabama
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice...1 day hike option from Taupo?

Ok..let me ask a different question then, and possibly the one I should have originally asked.....

What are the best options for only a partial crossing (?) if there is even such a possibility? I know on some treks in NZ you can only walk one direction.

Yes, I clearly trust your comment that a crossing is a full day. We were hoping for about 4-5 hrs of hiking, not the probably 6-8 of the full, then tack on the waiting for the shuttle.. That's why I may need some advise on if its worth it to only do a partial, so then we have ability to dictate our own coming and going via car and it have to rely on a shuttle...

Thanks again..

Jerry and cheryl

3. Re: Need advice...1 day hike option from Taupo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Tongariro National Park