We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with a returning trip to penang after 20 years

essex
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
help with a returning trip to penang after 20 years

Hi All

I am looking at returning to penang after my first trip some 20 years ago. With my hubby and 18 year old sons

We have decided to go in feb 2010 and have 4 nights in singapore and 7nights in penang. After reading some of the reviews whilst searching for a hotel I'm wondering if Batu Ferringhi has lost it's beauty as I've read about building work going on in this area along with the sea not being clear and the jelly fish warnings. So I would be gratful for any info on these things.

We have thought about staying at the rasa sayang resort and spa but then read about the hard rock hotel due to open in sept 09 and thought that maybe this would be better for my sons and I like the idea of every thing being new. So your opinion on both of these hotels and location would help good or bad ie (any building work going on around these locations)

Any advice or recommendations would be great as this is a 50th birthday trip and I really would like to have the trip with no disappointments.

My thanks to all that post a reply

Mentioned in this post
Batu Ferringhi
Batu Ferringhi
Penang Island, Malaysia
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,401 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with a returning trip to penang after 20 years

HI

100% you will think that Batu Ferringh has lost its beauty and charm. In fact you will find the same for the whole island. Building work is not just confinded to BF, but the island seems to be an on going building project and much more developed. Especially since the new bridge. Some parts of Georgetown still have their charm. The airport is now even has gates and is enclosed and no longer open fronted!!

The sea is only slighly more murky than 20years ago, the jelly fish have always been an issue around the coast.

Hard Rock is on the site of the old Cassuriana hotel, so 15mins walk from the main part of Batu Ferringhi / night market / restaurants etc. Rasa Sayang is right on the edge of the resort and minutes from the night market etc. The beach at the Rasa Sayang end does retain some of the Penang charm as the quads, para sailing and jet skies keep to the middle of the resort.

IMO, you would have to pay us a lot of money to stay at the Hard Rock and not stay a the Rasa Sayang. We prefer the Rasa Sayang for all the reasons that your sons might hate it. We don't like the location of the Hard Rock because it is away from the resort. The Rasa Sayang is a good 4/5*, and the Rasa Wing a good 5/6*, the hotel was totally refurbished in 2006/7. Plus the Hard Rock is already 18months behind schedule, and many already promised opening dates have been and gone. The best bit is there are no night clubs on the strip [yet], and long may it remain.

I have found over the years if you back expecting the same you will be bitterly disapointed. I did the same with soemwhere after 10 years and did not reconise the place, it had been nipped, tucked, built and lifted so that little remained. If you go back expecting 20years of changes - think how you and Essex have changed over that same time - and treat it as a new place, you will find the heart of Penang still there.

Have fun and happy planning.

Mentioned in this post
Batu Ferringhi Night Market
Batu Ferringhi Night...
870 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
5,342 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
essex
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with a returning trip to penang after 20 years

Hi travellingmitch

Thanks for your post.

I do expect alot of changes I just dont want my hotel to be next to or near a construction site. For the last 11 years we've been holidaying in dubai and seen it change so much. I have always been careful where I stay there, due to the construction work.

I'm asumming that there is no construction work near the rasa sayang so maybe this would be good place to stay and the boys could always walk up to the hard rock to see the bands.

We will be there for the chinese new year 14th feb is there anything we should not miss?

Would I get a better price for the rasa going direct to the hotel? as I've been getting high prices with agents.

Thanks

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,401 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with a returning trip to penang after 20 years

HI

Not much in the way of construction around the Rasa Sayang. A walk up to the Hard Rock will do the boys good!!

We do book directly with the hotel, also look at one of the many reservation websites, or even someone like netflights.com, they offer some good deals. It is an expensive hotel, but is worth it.

Plus you are there at one of the most expensive times of year, Chinese New Year! A visit to Chinatown will be worth it for the experiance.

Have fun and happy planning.

Mentioned in this post
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
5,342 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
essex
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with a returning trip to penang after 20 years

Hi there

thanks for your quick reply. I'm going to email the rasa tonight and I'll be there in Chinatown on 14th.

No doubt I'll be asking more questions before we go!

essex
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with a returning trip to penang after 20 years

It's all booked finally 3nts Singapore at Pan Pacific and 6nts Penang at Rasa Sayang.I've booked the garden wing including breakfast as I would like to check the rooms out first and then if not suitable up grade to the rasa wing. I've asked the agent I booked with to come back with his best rate for the Rasa wing. If the rate is not great then I'll just wait to I get there and hope the hotel isn't full (chinese new year). Also wondering if I could book a afternoon tea whilst staying in the garden wing. Thanks mitch for your info and I know I'll have more questions nearer my departure.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Pan Pacific Singapore
Pan Pacific Singapore
8,369 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
kuah,langkawi
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: help with a returning trip to penang after 20 years

Welcome back!

Hi there, For a tiny island, size approximately 290 sq km. Penang ,definitely has gone through a rapid urbanization.Remember it is a first British establishment in this region founded in year 1786 by Capt Francis Light.First municipality, port, and etc.

But nevertheless Penang has its own charm.Its all about people,temples, culture and tasty hawkers food, is still remain intact.With a population of nearly 700,000, surely there is a lots of changes on social economic of this Pearl of Orient.But Penang never failed to mesmerize people who visit this Heritage Island.

There are some damaged along the tourist belt, Batu Ferringhi and Teluk Bahang but its still has his own sentimental values.

All the Best and see you guys soon.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Batu Ferringhi
Batu Ferringhi
Penang Island, Malaysia
perth WA
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with a returning trip to penang after 20 years

hello there

I was in Penang 23 years ago, then 4 years ago and 2 weeks ago. I love it, love it, love it. The 20 year gap trip did obviously have lots of changes but nothing that affected my holiday. we stay at the park royal but would love to stay at the rasa. Our latest trip was just perfect. You'll love it again.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
essex
Level Contributor
57 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with a returning trip to penang after 20 years

Hi there

My thanks to hardy and maya for your replys

Glad to hear you love it still I'm really looking forward to our trip so roll on feb 2010!!!

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help with a returning trip to penang after 20 years

Hi we went back to Penang after 30yrs what a shock took us 3/4 days to get over it we just keeped saying oh my god look at that but it was still GREAT, would not swim in the sea try the pool instead i would think the R/S would be better than Hard Rock

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
5,342 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help with a returning trip to penang after 20 years

No doubts about that.need not have to worry.Rasa Sayang is much much nicer than Hard Rock.Itsa beuatiful 5 star hotel but Hard Rock i would say a 3 to 4 star.The Rasa was renovated 2 yrs back with a beautiful manicured large garden.No construction goin on around it.HR is nice only for a short visit but not to stay.Penang is still th same nice Penang as many years ago.Some development here n there but it till retains its harm in many areas.Except for the jelly fish infested sea.hope they had improved on getting rid of them when the new state government took over.

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
5,342 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Get answers to your questions about Batu Ferringhi