We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Sands vs Parkroyal

Which Batu Ferringhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide
Level Contributor
58 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Golden Sands vs Parkroyal

Looking to stay at one in April nxt yr. We are a family of 4 (2a 2Ch aged 7&9). Looking at family room. At Golden Sands (which is more expensive) the option is Hillview family room, which apparently has no balcony but access to 2hrs in Adventure zone per day, or the Parkroyal has free upgrade to family room which has seaview and balcony. Anyone got any suggestions of which is better?

Also a bit nervous about catching taxi in Malaysia. Have travelled but wouldn't call myself seasoned. With 2 kids in tow is this a simple thing to do or should i just book transfers. Thanks for the help!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,903 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Sands vs Parkroyal

HappyDwarf,

To answer the second part of your question - taxis are easy to get. We travelled to Penang with our two children late last year and had no problems at all. There is a taxi booth at the airport - just go to the booth and say the name of your hotel. The person in the booth will organise a driver for you at a set price.

One thing I will mention - we were travelling for a month so had four large suitcases and four carry on backpacks. We did not all fit in one taxi and there were no taxi vans. We had to get two taxis - we just went one adult and one child per taxi.

When you are at Batu Ferranghi go to Ocean Jupiter Tours - right on the main strip (almost opposite Long Beach Food Centre). They organised a van transfer for us to return to the airport at a very reasonable price.

One question - where did you get the offer for the upgrade to the family room at the Park Royal? Was it through their own web page?

Caroline.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
58 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Sands vs Parkroyal

Thanks Caroline, You are great in answering most of my forum questions and appreciate all your help. I'm looking at booking though Jetset (a travel agency) who i think are using the qantas wholesalers. Flight centre and others who use other wholesalers like infinity havn't been able to offer the same deal. I'm not brave enough to book online, especially as the online service quite often dosn't let you do the kids easily. The deal is stay 7 pay 5, free upgrade from grand seaview deluxe (accom 2) to family room (accom 4) and full breakfast daily. Hope this helps.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,903 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Sands vs Parkroyal

Thanks for that.

We have family with children traveling next year and hoping to go to Penang.

Sounds like a good deal.

Just go onto the hotels own web page and check the price - if you book through the hotel directly you generally don't pay until you check out. The Aussie exchange rate is nearly 3 to 1 to the MYR at the moment, so you should get a good price.

You usually have to give a credit card number to guarantee the room - we have one card with a low limit and use this card for this purpose.

You can always telephone the hotel (for less than $2A to confirm)

It's worth checking - but sometimes the wholesalers do get a good deal.

Both of these hotels will be excellent.

Caroline.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden Sands vs Parkroyal

Both r excellent hotels.Really not much to separate the 2.,However i wil prefer GS.But if u stay at ParkRoyal dont get a room facing the mosque.

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden Sands vs Parkroyal

Hi

Don't think you can go past theGS great hotel great location

6. Re: Golden Sands vs Parkroyal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Batu Ferringhi