We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR - Batu Ferringhi & KL

Which Batu Ferringhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
JBR - Batu Ferringhi & KL

Hi all

Firstly, thank you to all who have been contributing to the forums. I used the info provided by you to plan my holiday. I hope my review may benefit others. I’ll try to keep this short and not to repeat info already posted – mmm!

Flew Air Asia to KL from Gold Coast – 2 adults, 2 children. Flight good. Web check in at home 48 hours before allowed us to avoid queues and go straight to baggage drop off. Had ordered meal online when booked ticket. Make sure you have boarding pass as they will ask for it when giving out pre-ordered meals also have on hand low denominations of ringgit to make any other food transactions smoother. Was surprised that meal was delivered only approx 1 hour into flight. However, additional refreshments not that expensive – hot dog RM9, Cheezy pizza RM7, 2 donuts RM8, noodles, chocolates, nuts, chips, soft drinks between RM 4-6. Arrived KL – booked taxi at counter RM103. Stayed 2 nights Royal Chulan great value for a 5 star. If booking be sure to include breakfast - booked direct on line. Hotel is new and does not appear on some accommodation sites. Excellent hotel – definitely recommend – great position walking distance to Pavilion, Times Square Sungai Wang and close to Petronas Towers. Visited the Petailing Street markets China Town that night. Next day CK picked us up at 9:00am for a day tour. (He sends his regards Caroline!) We visited the Batu Caves 272 steps very steep consideration if you are unfit, photos with iguana & pythons onto the aboriginal museum then deer park and elephant sanctuary returned to hotel 5pm .The elephant trip was a highlight for us all – you really had the opportunity to interact with them. CK was very helpful and I will definitely be doing the firefly tour and Bukit Melawati Monkey Hill trip on our next visit to KL. CK’s contact jqsk2004@yahoo.com. Again onto the night markets. Next day flight to Penang – CK drove to airport RM100. Quick 50 minute flight arrived Penang – booked taxi at counter approx RM60. Stayed at Holiday Inn Batu Ferringhi. Used a travel agent to book as being a wholesaler they got it cheaper than I could by contacting them direct. Suited our purposes, good location, stayed in kids suite beach side – the kids suites have a sectioned off area for the children which included their own desk, TV, Disney channel and play station. Bunk beds with a trundle under bottom bunk if required. Standard rectangular pool with additional children’s pool. Kids club – didn’t use. We did not include breakfast when booking – however if you would like breakfast book at reception – cheaper than just turning up to restaurant. We went to a Fish Spa - 300m from Holiday Inn towards Golden Sands resort – Marine Fish Spa – RM30 for adult 1/2 hour and RM15 for children absolutely cried with laughter for the first two minutes until I became accustomed to at least 50 fish nibbling on my feet.

We booked a driver for a 4 hour trip – cost was RM100 - 2 adults and 2 children. Thank you to one of the Trip Advisor contributors for the drivers details - Small shop between a tailor shop and a convenience shop.- No. 76-C-1 Batu Ferringhi, opposite the Park Royal.

We visited the Botanical Gardens again we were in hysterical laughter as the monkeys approached us for food – I ensured that my husband (the alpha male of the group – well that’s how the monkeys did see him) was the only one carrying a backpack (which indicated food), being the alpha male they stayed clear of him – but when my children moved away from the main group they did come over and gently tug on their shorts and tap on their shoes whilst making noises asking for food – a little disconcerting but amusing. Nearby was a Batik factory & sales area we went out the back and were given a brief tour which allowed us to view the creation processes, then onto the Thai Buddhist temple reclining Buddha and opposite side of the road the Burmese temple. Then to Fort Cornwallis and Chew Jetty and another quick visit to Little India.

Enjoyed the night markets each night. During the day enjoyed the pool, jet ski, banana boat and horse rides and lunches. Had a number of massages at various locations. Ate most nights at the hawkers half way between Holiday Inn and Golden Sands. Enjoyed trying different fruit juices each night. Had a lovely lunch at Tree Monkey Café next to the spice gardens, lovely setting and good food, sometimes monkeys make an appearance. Would also recommend the Jewel of the North restaurant for great food. Went into Georgetown for gold jewellery shopping Campbell street – found it difficult to find a bangle to fit – Saved a lot of time by telling the shop keeper straight away that I was after a 16.5 or 17 size bangle. Eventually went to Little India and although slightly different designs found more larger sizes – next time I may look into going direct to factory – Enjoyed shopping at Komtar and the Parkson department store and surrounding markets. Also shopped and at Gurney on way back to Batu Ferringhi, where my 11 year old was pleased with the purchase of real converse shoes. Near Gurney are the Taiwan markets – a single large tent structure, whole area size of Olympic pool. Has cheaper T-shirts and shoes, toys, sunglasses cab drivers knew the name - worth a look if you are passing – take 15 minutes for a good look if you are interested in cheap clothing. On line check in for flight Penang to KL – did this at the internet café next to the tailors across the road from Holiday Inn – one of a few internet cafes along the main stretch of road – rates for use of internet far too expensive at hotel – internet café about RM5 for hour cheaper for less – included printing, video cams and Skype with headphones. Cannot do on line check in for return flight out of KL to Aust – due to immigration – therefore I suggest for connecting flights – go straight to check in as soon as you have picked up your luggage – were in queue for over and hour, keep this in mind for connecting flights. We had a great time. Thank you to all forum contributors.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,773 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR - Batu Ferringhi & KL

Lovely report, thanks for sharing all this information!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR - Batu Ferringhi & KL

Thanks for a great JBR. Very interesting.

Cheers. Danuta.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR - Batu Ferringhi & KL

Thanks for that great JBR BarkerBaby! We'll be flying to KL with Air Asia in just 3 weeks from the Gold Coast and then on to Penang also staying at the Holiday Inn Batu Ferringhi so we really appreciate your tips. Are planning to preorder some RM from Travelex online and collect it from the airport the day before we fly out. Did you do this? I'm told you avoid commission this way. Like you we love all the advice from TA, so many like minded travellers. Hope we can provide an equally interesting JBR on our return. Thanks again.

Indonesia
Level Contributor
220 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR - Batu Ferringhi & KL

Hi BB, can you please give me the contact of your driver in Penang. Thanks :)

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR - Batu Ferringhi & KL

Hi BarkerBaby

Thanks for JBR sounds like you had a nice time and saw plenty

Thanks mosiewigs

Brisbane
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR - Batu Ferringhi & KL

We booked a driver for a four hour trip. Cost was RM100 for the four hours - 4 of us 2 adults and 2 children. No. 76-C-1 Batu Ferringhi, opposite the Park Royal. Small shop between a Tailor shop and Phoon's convenience shop.

We called in the day before and booked. They also agreed that if we went past the 4 hours that they were happy to extend at same cost of RM25 per hour. Minimum of 4 hours booking.

We visited the Botanical Gardens, Batik factory, reclining buddha, Fort Cornwallis and Chew Jetty. - you can however plan your own trip.

If going from Penang airport to Holiday Inn book a taxi at the taxi counter at the airport - there are booths near the main exit. No need to bargin here - prices are standard - they will look at the amount of luggage you have to determine which size car you will need. They will give you a voucher. The voucher is handed to guy at taxi rank outside the door.

Have fun.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR - Batu Ferringhi & KL

For our last three overseas trips we have used TravelEx. We ordered on line. We have not had any problems with the ones at Coolangatta or Brisbane airports There comunications were good - I think the lady we used at GC was named Monique. Call TravelEx prior to confirm that your money is there - this will make you feel more comfortable. I think you are right about the commissions - we felt however upon returning that we lost money when changing RM back to AUS. Perhaps we should have purchased more Tshirts at the markets the night before.

We also used a Visa debit card available through Travel Ex. This can be used the same as an EFTPOS card - using your own money. As long as the merchant indicates it accepts Visa. The Visa Debit card came with 2 cards and two different pins. We kept one in the hotel safe and carried the other with us.

Travel Ex stated a maximum amount of money that could be withdrawn per day - we did however find that we were limited to the amount allowed by each bank - in Georgetown my hsband had to use three ATMs for equivalent to AUS$1000. There is approx $2.80 fee for each transaction. We were buying something for a AU$1000 - the shop owner would have accepted the Visa Debit Card with a charge of 3% - $30 - however by having to use the 3 different ATM's each charging - it cost us under $9. You may need to weigh up if it is worth it - my husband did however enjoy the experience because he jumped on the back of the shop owners motorbike and the shop owner gave him a fun trip looking for banks.

We used the Visa Debit Card at the ATM in Batu Ferringhi - referred by Tavel Mitch - heading from the Park Royal turn right at the traffic lights near the Golden Sands, they are working/building the service station on the corner about 200 metres up the road on the left is a Seven Eleven type shop - the ATM is in there.

Regards.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR - Batu Ferringhi & KL

Thanks so much for that information! It's great to get first hand help from people who have "been there". Really appreciate you taking the time to share that with us!!!!!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR - Batu Ferringhi & KL

good jbr glad you had a top time iv got to wait till feb to go back x

10. Re: JBR - Batu Ferringhi & KL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Batu Ferringhi