We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queensbay - worth the trip or not???

Perth WA
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Queensbay - worth the trip or not???

Heading back to penang in December - wondering if Queensbay is worth a look yet or can you recommend any new good shopping spots - havn't visited in 2 years - so what is new to shop or for us to see?

Thanks

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Queensbay - worth the trip or not???

1st Avenue Mall next to Traders Hotel / Komtar - to be open in November 2010.

Straits Quay - a retail and marina enclave slated to be open in December 2010! www.straitsquay.com

Edited: 03 October 2010, 08:46
Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queensbay - worth the trip or not???

Queensbay have almost similar tenants as in Gurney Plaza. Some differences are Jusco as anchor tenant(more Japanese products), Borders bookstore, more stores on children's toys and clothes,, home craft etc Wider choice in cafes/restaurants. and nicer to walk and browse. You can google and check their list of tenants.

http://queensbaymallmalaysia.com/

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queensbay - worth the trip or not???

Queensbay Mall is good for a few hours - lots of good eating places in the mall and in surrounding area.

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queensbay - worth the trip or not???

We found that our shopping needs were meet in Georgetown and BF night market, without the need to travel all the way to Queensbay Mall. I am responding on behalf of my 16 and 25 YO daughters.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queensbay - worth the trip or not???

Last night I told my wife that 1st Avenue is open in November and the new Marina Shopping Mall in December - she was ecstatic .

(my credit card committed suicide)

1st avenue is next door to Traders where we stay.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queensbay - worth the trip or not???

Esor, Your wife will be disappointed , usually not many shop tenants during official opening and typically, it takes 6-12 mths to have it in full operation, if the mall management is lucky. Times Square is still 70-80% vacant.

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Queensbay - worth the trip or not???

We are currently staying at Traders and 1st Avenue does not look like it will be opening anytime soon. As for the E&O Marina development, the local paper even say that many tennants are still not due to open when the planned opening starts in November.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Queensbay - worth the trip or not???

heehee i dont understand why people go on holiday to spend hours in shopping malls.........i detest shopping!! must be the only female to admit this ???? id rather be out exploreing lolxxxx

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Queensbay - worth the trip or not???

@ Cass & Gaja - We did notice that Times Squre had empty lots last January - I was sooooooo depressed (heeheehee) - however, she did manage to find a camera shop and bought me a new camera - reverse revenge or what?

For info, the supermarket on the 4th floor of TS has a massive selection of wines.

@ Maggie - Shopping for me is a trip to the market to try weird, wonderful foods not yet tasted.

Other shopping - USE Ebay.

Edited: 05 October 2010, 17:39
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Queensbay - worth the trip or not???

esor your a man after my own heart !!! you think the same as me, 100% ebay seller !!heeheex

Get answers to your questions about Batu Ferringhi
Recent Conversations