We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip JBR - Sept/Oct

Which Batu Ferringhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Trip JBR - Sept/Oct

On this trip to Penang, my Daughter and I departed Sydney on Malaysia Airlines flight MH 122 at 1400. We left on time and enjoyed a hassle free flight to KL arriving around 2000. Transfer to the 2350 flight to Penang was without any problems. We were the only people going thru Immigration. It helped to pass the time by using the 2 free hours Wi-Fi that KLIA provides.

The flight to Penang was on time and whilst I was seated next to another Aussie, we passed the 50 minutes discussing the up coming Aussie Rules GF.

As on previous trips, we had booked our transfer to BF with Ocean Jupiter. We arrived at Holiday Inn for our first two nights. No problems getting to sleep as we settled into our queen size beds.

After breakfast, a quick swim. Were to watch the Aussie Rules GF? After a great experience last time at Parkroyal, we joined many other Aussies for a exciting, loud afternoon. Parkroyal provided a great venue for the direct telecast along with free finger food during quarter and half time – thanks PR.

Then it was off to see Mr Foo http://www.malaysiasite.nl/foo.htm for his renowned foot reflexology. My daughter was a frequent visitor over the next two weeks. Mr Foo mentioned that he could hear the roaring from the Golden Sands during the Aussie GF.

That night it was of to Long Beach for that long awaited meal. We selected the chicken satays, followed by the spring rolls (note - spring roll Lady had Wednesday night off whilst we were there). We finished with chilli crabs – yum!

My daughter, of course, had to get in some shopping therapy. So after the meal it was off to the night markets for a bout of serious bargaining. Good to see most traders enjoy the cut and thrust of striking a deal, as does my daughter. One great deal she got was a “genuine fake” leather bag down from RM$260 to RM$80.

Lucky she did, because the counterfeit sellers were closed when October arrived. No DVD’s, Bags, Glasses, Watches etc. We hope this is not the case when we return in January. Like it or not, this is one of the reasons people visit BF, as is evident by the number cruising the stalls at night.

I noticed that the Petronis Petrol Station and Macca’s development opposite Golden Sands appeared to have been delayed. The street talk seems to think it was build to close to the Flats and Golden Sands, and had not yet received and OC (Occupation Certificate).

Next day I jumped onto the Penang Rapid bus to Georgetown. Remember to have the correct change, RM$2.70, if possible. I always hire a motorbike to get around Penang, and I use the NJ shop at 425 Chulia St. They also provide money changing at excellent rates.

Next, I dropped into the Mobilephone Clinic, a shop I have used with success on my previous visits, to get a mobile phone fixed. They are located at 1st Stop shopping centre along Burmah Rd near the SDA Hospital.

We checked out of HI and moved up to The Bayview to join a reunion of around 280 pass students and friends of the RAAF School Penang, which was operated from 1958 to 1988. We were well looked after by The Bayview, with the opening of a bar downstairs with 30% drink discounts. This was also the scene of the AFL GF replay and the NRL GF attended by many Aussies. (see Hotel Review)

We visited the following services.

The shop across the road from Bayview provided a laundry service for only RM$4 per kilo. The cheapest I found on the strip.

Ladies hairdresser – ADP Hairdressing Burmah Rd near Tune Hotel (opposite side) ask for Wayne (off Mondays)

Men’s hairdresser – Manickam, 28 Jalan Fettes Tannjong Tokong. I was asked to pay only RM$13 for a haircut, beard trim and shave!

My daughter visits the Penang Dental Surgery at 287 Burmah Rd Pulau Tikus each year for her check up. Scale and clean - RM$82.

I required a service to my waterproof watch and found Global Time at first floor shop 63 excellent. The waterproof watch still works.

I always have some tailoring done at Deepee’s 591 Batu Ferringgi (next to Boatman).whilst visiting Penang, this time I had a pair of trousers made.

For your fishing supplies, I suggest Zainxan at 169 Lebuh Pantai (Beach Street).

Vision First – What else can I say!

Over the next week we participated in visits to the old RAAF School, the RMAF Air Base, Penang Swimming Club and the sights of Penang. We usually ended up at the pool, followed by an evening happy hour cocktail. We finished off with a farewell dinner featuring a fine selection of Malaysian dishes. We were also entertained by a Malay band and local dances.

After reading reviews of the Shangri-La’s Traders Hotel on TA, we moved into Georgetown for 3 nights. What a great move. We stayed in a Club room on the 17th floor (see Hotel Review) and enjoyed the two happy hour session in the Club Lounge. We were next to the shopping malls and used the free shuttle bus to use the pools at the Shangri-La’s Golden Sands. Unfortunately, we were unable to use the pools at the Shangri-La’s Rasa Sayang?

Back to HI for two more days before flying to KL and staying at Concorde Inn near KLIA before our 0900 departure by MH 141. Unfortunately, we were delayed 1 hour due to a minor issue on the aircraft and then with Air Traffic Control.

What a great two weeks, can’t wait to return in January to experience Thaipusan. 87 days to go (but who’s counting!)

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
6,879 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip JBR - Sept/Oct

Thank you for the JBR!

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip JBR - Sept/Oct

Hi Gaja

Thanks for your report sounds like you had a good time

How was reunion i am always meaning to go to one being a ex raffie child also wife will try and make the next one. what years were you there?

I certainly miss Penang it gets in your blood

Thanks mosiewigs

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip JBR - Sept/Oct

Mosiewigs,

Thanks for your comments. We had a great time at the reunion. Don't know if there will be another one in Penang.

I was there 1964 - 1966 at the school and then 1978 - 1980 when in the RAAF.

Gaja

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,970 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip JBR - Sept/Oct

Mr Foo and Long Beach, heaven!!

Thanks for sharing! Lovely interesting and fact full report!

brisbane
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip JBR - Sept/Oct

Hi Gaja

I was at the RAAF school farewell dinner too but we stayed in Georgetown - too bad we didn't catch up - looks like there are a few TA followers that are ex-raaf. (i was at the school from 81-83).

Great JBR - Sounds like you had a fab time.

Cheers

Karen

6. Re: Trip JBR - Sept/Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2011, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Batu Ferringhi