We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shangri La Rasa Sayang or Golden Sands

Which Batu Ferringhi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Shangri La Rasa Sayang or Golden Sands

I know it has been debated before but interested to hear peoples opinions that have seen the 2 hotels and that have kids! I'm going to Penagng with my 2 kids (3 and 6) and can't decide on which hotel. The Rasa obviously looks a lot nicer (and would be my choice if I didn't bring the kids) but would the kids be happier at Golden Sands? And is it worth an extra $1,000 to stay at the Rasa (staying 8 nights in Jan). Thank you.

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
853 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shangri La Rasa Sayang or Golden Sands

Golden Sands would be any ideal place. The hotel is not bad (basically same company) but cater more for family holiday. While for Rasa Sayang, is more like honeymoon/couple vacation.

Use that Extra $1000 for your kids expenditure there

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shangri La Rasa Sayang or Golden Sands

of the two ..Golden Sands ..BUT both hotels are way over priced and not worth the money..if I may suggest have a look at the Rainbow Paradise Beach Resort..it is not at Batu Ferringhi but halfway between there and Georgetown..the Rapid Penang bus at your door step and the hotel runs a free shuttle to Batu Ferringhi each evening.

At The Rainbow you can get a two bedroom suite with two bathrooms ..large living room ..three balconies with great ocean views and will not cost you any where what you are looking at for the Golden Sands....

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
914 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shangri La Rasa Sayang or Golden Sands

The Rasa Sayang is a good hotel. It's gardens are beautiful and are unmatched by any other hotel.

Is it worth the money...by Penang standards ... probably not.

How about some days by the beach as suggested by Roostown and then if you really want a good hotel experience try one of the writer's suites at the E&O (a poor man's Raffles.)

Enjoy

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,533 posts
1,683 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shangri La Rasa Sayang or Golden Sands

If you are with young kids, go for the Golden Sands.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shangri La Rasa Sayang or Golden Sands

My husband and I have just come back from a week at the Golden Sands. We really enjoyed the hotel and plan on bringing our children back on the next trip. The pool area is well organised, room for littlies to walk in from a pebble-concrete "beach" (rather than steps) as well as a separate kids only small slide and splash pool. There are life guards on duty to prevent rowdy behaviour. The breakfasts are the same each day, but there is a huge choice, and plastic cups, plates, bowls etc. Staff seemed very attentive towards children. Outside the hotel there are plenty of small shops, lots of bathers/swimmers/togs and pool toys as well as the night markets. Across the road is "Lee's" (I think), a 7-11 type shop with plenty of small items should you need anything in a hurry. The Golden Sands is closer to the Long Beach hawker stalls. HTH

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shangri La Rasa Sayang or Golden Sands

Hi

I have not stayed at the Golden Sands, but have 2 girls 10yrs, and 7 yrs and we have always stayed at the Park Royal Hotel about 6 times now. The Pool has 2 water slides which the kids spend all day going up and down, so sleep very well at night. The kids club is also very good, and the ladies are the same that where there 9 years ago when we first started coming, so we trust them with looking after our children at night, when we go out for dinner without them some nights.

Also Golden Sands is at the start of Batu Ferringhi and quite a walk up to the Hawker Food markets etc, where is Park Royal I find is a great location.

All Hotels are good, but Park Royal may be cheaper than Golden Sands, i think.

Happy Travels, you will love Penang.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shangri La Rasa Sayang or Golden Sands

There is nothing wrong with all the hotels mentioned above ..but beautiful gardens etc ..do you plan to spend all day admiring the gardens etc ..??

For the price you pay it is not value..wife and I have stayed at all hotels in Batu Ferringhi..and they have all become over priced..in our opinion ..you can get better value at Tanjung Bungah at the Flamingo or where we have been staying for the past five years ..the Rainbow Paradise..which is great for kids cause they get their own room ( share ) whilst mum and dad have a seperate room..with seperate bathroom ..whilst the kids have their own

great pool and the hotel right on a quiter beach..and a lot cheaper..a short shuttle ride to Batu Ferringhi of evening for eating at Long Beach etc..closer to Georgetown..with Rapid Penang Bus service in each direction at your front door...money you save on accommation gives you more to spend elsewhere

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shangri La Rasa Sayang or Golden Sands

If we're going to M'sia this yr, we'll definitely book golden sands. Lost count how many times we've stayed there. We're waiting for our kid to be 16 so that we can finally enjoy rasa sayang.

At rasa sayang, one of pools is not accessible to kids. I don't feel good, even if I may not want to use that pool.

A few things about golden sands, some of the bathrooms have drainage problem. best to ask for high floor. All the hill view 6th floor rooms we stayed are fine but one room on 2nd floor has problem. Breakfast peak hr during holidays can be very busy and you'll have to wait for table. You can usually wait at lobby and they'll call your rm number.

Both hotels share kids club. Its not too bad.

I've seen the tanjong bahar (sorry forgot how to spell) hotel mentioned on top. It looks good, though I've not stayed there before. It's quite close to one of our fav seafood restaurants.

We stick to GS b'cos it's next to adventure zone and it has very big grounds and great to just chill. We don't visit a lot of places in Penang, we just chill.

Sydney
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shangri La Rasa Sayang or Golden Sands

Thank you so much for all your comments, will check out the Park Royal as well as the hotels in Tanjung Bungah but I'm pretty keen on the adventure zone!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shangri La Rasa Sayang or Golden Sands

Golden Sands is much more family orientated than the Rasa Sayang, have stayed at the Golden Sands on numerous occassions with two kids and we have all loved it. Rasa Sayang is alot more expensive, you are able to use facilities there is you wish when you are a guest at the Golden Sands

Get answers to your questions about Batu Ferringhi