We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many nights is long enough?

Geelong
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How many nights is long enough?

Hi we are travelling to Penang in mid January - with 2 children aged 8 and 6. Haven't booked accommodation yet, but we're looking at 6 nights. Is that too long, or what do you recommend? Thanks

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,708 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many nights is long enough?

I don't think 6 days is too long. There is a lot to see and do for people of all ages.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
51 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many nights is long enough?

Hi.

We normally go for about 10 nights and it is never long enough for us. Heaps to do or just completely chill out. The kids will love it!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
750 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many nights is long enough?

Hi it is never long enough for me!!

We went to penang for the first time in Dec 2011 for 7 nights and we wanted to come back as it wasn't enough. We stayed at the golden sands with our then 2,7,9 year olds. We returned a year later (8 weeks ago) with our 3,8& 10 y.o and stayed 11 nights. It still wasn't enough for me, still more to see and the place always has a charm. If I could take a year to live there I would!!!

You will love it.

Angela

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,409 posts
1,661 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many nights is long enough?

I spent 4 days in Penang was wanting for more!

Tommo

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
115 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many nights is long enough?

Narelle, I think a more productive question for your family is what attractions and activities might suit your kids.

I vote for the Butterfly Farm, and Adventure Zone in the Rasa Sayang.

SG
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many nights is long enough?

I just came back from another 6 day 5 nights day Penang trip.

I think the length of stay differs from person to person. As I drove from Singapore (10 - 12 hr drive) directly, I can be quite exhausted, leaving as early as 5am to reach at dinner time, with a few stop for breaks.

The 1st night would be a hotel near the south bridge, I am not sure if it is appropriate to name hotels but I would choose one that allows late check-in (in case of delays) and shops (especially a spa after the driving).

The next couple of nights would be at the more touristy location at Batu Ferringhi where you have a choice of hotels and resorts to choose from.

Stuff to do that will take 1 whole day :

- Durian hunting (far end of Batu Feringgi)

- Early dinner at Gurney

- Late lunch at Chinatown

- Visit to Kek Lok Si temple (if you intent to go almost to the top)

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How many nights is long enough?

Seven nights to see everything and do the lot.This is one of the few places in Asia I would be happy to do

Lewes, England...
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many nights is long enough?

Does anyone know anything about the orangutan sanctuary in Penang? Some of these centres are fantastic conservation centres and others exploitative. Which is the Penang one??

London
Level Contributor
764 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many nights is long enough?

Where you travelling from ? I dont recognise Geelong.

We travelled with kids about to turn 7 and 4 from the UK.

Did 9 days and that was just about enough time for 2-3 days chilling getting over jetlag then alternating days with trips and pool. We did everything we wanted to (Penang Hill, Butterfly house, cruising around the place) as well as a day diving/snorkelling at Pulau Payer.

Could have done with another day, but that was mainly as we spent 2 half days getting glasses sorted out at Patrick Ungs. Although it did get to see Georgetown.

10. Re: How many nights is long enough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Batu Ferringhi
Recent Conversations