We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is beach really out of bounds?.

Level Contributor
19 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Is beach really out of bounds?.

I know this topic has been covered before but I'm looking for the latest insight.

We want to travel to Penang and stay and the SL rasa sayang.

I've read then beach is dirty with jellyfish.

My kids really want to play in the beach. Is this beach completely bad?.

Where can we travel (not very far) for a good beach in Penang?

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is beach really out of bounds?.

Nothing wrong with the sand on the beach, it is kept reasonable clean. The ocean water is not clean and it does have jellyfish. The Hotel pools are a better choice. You will see people swimming in the ocean, it is the chance they take.

Gaja

Level Contributor
19 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is beach really out of bounds?.

Sorry I meant "water is dirty...."

So where is there a good beach to swim in?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,067 posts
2,000 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is beach really out of bounds?.

You could take a short excursion to the nearby islets which is something we did as we stayed at the next door Golden Sands, it was better to swim although there were still jelly fish about.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,164 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is beach really out of bounds?.

Have swum in the sea and live, but it is not that great. Sand is nice. Jelly fish come and go with tides, currents and the phases of the moon!

Level Contributor
19 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is beach really out of bounds?.

So which "islets" are good?

How does one get there exactly?

/darn jelly fish...cannot escape them!!

Level Contributor
146 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is beach really out of bounds?.

The beach at SL is good and i find lthe water is okay but not that great or dirty. I can safely said the water is good but not crystal clear. As TM mentioned Jelly fish come and go. I hv been there few times and never stung by jelly fish, but who know :)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
750 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is beach really out of bounds?.

Hi, the beach out the front of golden sands is completely nice to play on with kids. I go walking on it everyday when I am there. On my most recent visit, they have put like a swimming netted area supposedly to make it better for swimmers I guess. I didn't utilise this myself, but I guess it could be an option if you were really keen. However with the lovely pools at the resorts most people take advantage of it. If you have any email I can email you a pic of the beach with the sectioned area right out the front of the golden sands and then you can see for yourself.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is beach really out of bounds?.

the beach area is fine .....no real problems ... the sea .. well each to their own .. if you desire to take the risk of being stung .. that your choice... my suggestion is to stay with the hotel pool .. in 26 years have NEVER swam in the sea... hotels " generally " look after the beach area in front of their hotel

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is beach really out of bounds?.

I would not swim in the sea as my husband was badly stung. We were never advised not to swim in the sea or that there would be jellyfish. As we both like swimming in the sea we have never been back to Penang. It did spoil our holiday as Dr had to be called and gave my husband an injection. We also had to cancel our tour the next day to Langkawi.

Although we love KL and still go there we now holiday in the beautiful islands in Thailand with no jellyfish.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is beach really out of bounds?.

you did not say what hotel you were at ... most do have signs posted warning of jelly fish

Get answers to your questions about Batu Ferringhi