We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Placencia vs Hopkins

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Placencia vs Hopkins

We will be in Belize in December and are thinking of splitting time between Placencia and Hopkins before going to Caye Caulker. What are your thoughts? We like to snorkel and kayak but also are interested in the drumming and village life and thought the banana farm tour sounded fun. We are also thinking of going to Mayflower Bocawina for the day. Do you recommend it and would tours take us there? What else would you recommend? Thanks!

18 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,607 posts
331 reviews
1. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins

How many nights in all and how many nights are you thinking for each stop, teri2018?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins

We arrive December 2 and would go to Placencia first. I believe we can go by ferry but would appreciate any info on getting there from Belize City. We were not planning on renting a car. We are meeting friends in Caye Caulker on the 8th-13th. So we would spend December 2nd-7th in Placencia/Hopkins leaving on the 8th to go to Caye Caulker. Thanks. We would also appreciate recommendations on lodging for 3 people. We can share a villa or get a two bedroom. We have looked at snorkeling, kayaking, the banana farm tour, drumming center etc. We like snorkeling and kayaking and doing some other local activities. Thanks for any help!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,607 posts
331 reviews
3. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins

There's no water taxi/ferry to Placencia from Belize City so your options are flying (from BZE or TZA, the municipal airport) or by road. Lots of links and schedules here: www.belizebus.wordpress.com

Options for getting between Placencia and Hopkins are a bit complicated unless you hire a driver. Here are the places we loved but the ownership of both of them has changed so be sure to check out more recent reviews.

https://placenciavillas.com/

https://hopkinsinn.com/

Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins

Thank you!!

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,036 posts
5. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins

If you're interested in village life and drumming, then Hopkins is the place to be.

The reef is farther from Placencia & Hopkins than it is from Caye Caulker, so you might prefer to prioritize the land activities while down south. It sounds like you're aware of the drumming centre at Hopkins. Look into the Monkey River Tour. There's a Garifuna Museum at Dangriga.

The easiest way to get to Placencia from the airport is a domestic flight. Next best would be a transfer service (private shuttle van) -- they will meet you at the airport and drive you in comfort (it's a few hours).

The cheapest option is a bus, but it's a bit more hassle, and if you land late in the afternoon, you might not have time to get there on the same day. Let me know if you need more info.

There's no water taxi from BC to Placencia, but there is a weekly water taxi from BC to Dangriga, and if you get a James Bus from BC to Independence, you have to continue to Placencia by water taxi/ferry from Independence.

There are a couple of small Maya sites south of Placencia, but there are better sites elsewhere. Are you interested in the Belize Zoo?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
17 posts
6. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins

Thank you!!

Belleair, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins

My husband & I spent a vacation in Hopkins several years ago & loved it so much, we returned each year. We wound up touring the majority of Belize & still favor the Stann Creek District. We actually purchased property between Hopkins and Placencia & plan to move there in the near future.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,607 posts
331 reviews
8. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins

I love stories like that, BonSue! Are you building or did you buy an existing home? We went through much the same process (in multiple countries) and built our little place on Lake Atitlán in Guatemala. We don't plan to live there full time, though - we have grandkids and enjoy the Pacific NW a lot, too. Enjoy your new home!

Belleair, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins

We bought property in a new development, called Kanantik. By "new," I mean they are busy cutting dirt roads through the jungle/mesa property as I write this. Eventually, it will be a golf course & marina community, but for now, the only completed construction is the Kanantik Jungle and Reef Resort, located on the shore, about 4 miles from our lot, and the Kanantik airstrip (very close to our lot.) My husband is a civil engineer who retired in January, so we plan to move there sometime in 2019 and rent a place while we build one of the first homes in the development. John loves the quiet and I'm a writer (novels,) so the wait for neighbors and the rest of the amenities won't bother us.

Belleair, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: Placencia vs Hopkins

My husband and I just returned from Belize last week. We will be moving there next year, but for now, we enjoyed several of the touristy fun you mentioned. We didn't take the banana plantation tour, but have heard good things about it. We did go to the Mayflower Bocawina Park and loved zip-lining there. The repel through the waterfall also looked like great fun, but a bit too much exercise for us to try both things in one day. We also stayed a couple nights at the Zoo, which was wonderful (we rented a car at airport in Belize City - it's an easy drive from there.) Another great time can be had at the Tiger Fern Waterfall park, near Placencia, but again, you'll need to rent a car or driver to get you there. As for Hopkins, it's a favorite place to enjoy local culture. We were absolutely shocked to discover they paved the roads there this year! Anyway, hope you and your family have a great time!

Edited: 16 September 2018, 22:21
Reply to: Placencia vs Hopkins
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hopkins
Recent Conversations