We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hopkins hotel/accomodation?

Which Hopkins hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Which Hopkins hotel/accomodation?

I've checked the ratings & prices, and am considering:

-All Seasons Guesthouse (Orchid Room or Beach apartment)

-Beaches & Dreams

-Hopkins Inn (Oceanview Cabana)

I know Beaches & Dreams is another step up the budget ladder, but we can swing it, so if it is a better fit for us then I'll do it.

We're looking for something beachfront, which I gather all 3 are. Obviously we want clean, comfortable rooms. Convenient access to town is important--I *think* all three are, but correct me if I'm wrong. Peace & quiet is also important, though, so if a slightly longer walk or bike ride is required to get it then we would consider it.

Are there any significant differences between the three that I should be aware of?

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Hopkins hotel/accomodation?

I can't comment on the individual resorts but you would be hard pressed in Hopkins to find anywhere noisy or far from town, it is a small quiet and I think, charming, place.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hopkins hotel/accomodation?

All Seasons: The guest house (Orchid room) is across the road from beach properties, not beach front. The beach apartments are on the beach.

Beaches & Dreams: Not in the village. considerably south. Quite far to walk. If they have bikes, you could bike to the village during the day, but there are no street lights once you leave the village and the road is extremely dark at night.

Hopkins Inn: In the village. I don't know which of their cabanas would be called "Oceanview", as all their cabanas are right on the beach.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Hopkins hotel/accomodation?

Thanks, that's helpful. We'll probably rule out Beaches & Dreams, then, since I don't think there's anything about it that would justify spending more money and being farther away.

From what I can tell about the Hopkins Inn, some of the cabanas are in front of others, maybe? A few of the reviews note that the larger "oceanfront" ones have a better position that the "oceanview", although all are right there. At any rate, all that's available is oceanview.

At All Seasons, she wasn't 100% sure if the apartment would be available (waiting to hear from another guest), so if it isn't then we'll go to Hopkins, I guess. If it is...I still might lean towards Hopkins, as the price is better.

All 3 have such great reviews that I'm sure we'll be happy with any of them.

Thanks again for the help!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Hopkins hotel/accomodation?

All season Guest House is a nice place to stay in Hopkins, specially if you get the beach front apartment. I stayed there for a week last July, you get a private beach and its located within walking distance to restaurants and a grocery store, but to be honest, I wish I would had stayed in a different town in Belize, since there's not much to do in Hopkins. People in Hopkins are friendly, but there's no really many attractions to choose from at night. You can do everything there is to do in Hopkins in a couple of days and move on to the next town, maybe Placencia, which is a little farther south, once you are there, you get more options for hotels, restaurants, bars and tour companies. If you do stay in Hopkins bring heavy duty bug repelent, the sand flees in the beach are vicious and you will be scratching your legs for a couple weeks. I hope this helps

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Hopkins hotel/accomodation?

We're actually attracted to Hopkins because it is so quiet! We aren't looking for evening entertainment--give us a good dinner and we're happy, and I gather there's plenty of good food to be had in Hopkins. For daytime activities, we're happy with a mix of sitting on the beach and some excursions, so I think we'll be good to go. We're only there for 4 nights, after time on Ambergris and in Cayo, so we'll have already seen other parts of the country, too.

I've read a lot about the sand fleas, it appears to vary quite a bit from day-to-day, but we'll be prepared. We'll have serious bugspray, but also baby oil & Avon SSS, which I gather is one of the most effective things to use for the sand fleas. And who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and end up there on days when the wind is up and they're not too bad!

Thanks so much--good to know you enjoyed the All Seasons. I'm waiting to hear back on whether the apartment is actually available, and then we'll be making a decision.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Hopkins hotel/accomodation?

And I just heard back from Ingrid, the apartment is available, so we've booked it. Yay! Now that we have places to sleep at night, it's time to start planning our days. Although with 5 months until the trip, I probably will take a break before jumping into that. :-)

Thanks again everyone! TA, as always, was a great help in planning things.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Hopkins hotel/accomodation?

If you are looking to relax and be away from everything then Hopkins is your town, for sure. Ingrid is super nice and she will help you with everything you need. There's a couple restaurants within walking distance and a grocery store, too. There's only one chinese restaurant in town and I know, chinese is probably the last thing you want to eat in Belize, but it's definitely worth trying (that is where the locals mostly hang out because they serve good cheap food). You are right, hopefully the sand fleas wont be so bad for the winter, (I went in the summer so thats probably when they are in full swing). Belize is so beautiful, you'll want to go back more than once, I know I do ;)

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Hopkins hotel/accomodation?

Thanks! We may well try the Chinese food--I always find it interesting how each country interprets Chinese food. When in Honduras we had it a few times (we were feeding a large group of teenagers who got very tired of BBQ chicken every night, so we let them eat Chinese as a "treat"!). They call their version of eggrolls something like "Chinese Taco"! :-)

Even American & Canadian Chinese food tends to have small differences (the presence of "chicken balls" on Chinese menus up here confuses me, and also my Chinese-American friends). It's always fun to compare, so we'll keep that in mind--especially good to know it's a local hangout. That was not very true in Honduras, where I think the Chinese restaurants were priced too high for most locals to eat at. We took a group of Honduran kids to eat with us once and they were floored by the experience, obviously it was not something they get to do in their day-to-day lives.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Hopkins hotel/accomodation?

Be sure and go to Innie's. Amazing food; the best hudut. And serey is good too. Let us know how the chop suey is at the Chinese place!

10. Re: Which Hopkins hotel/accomodation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2011, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Hopkins