We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hopkins or placencia

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
hopkins or placencia

We are a retired couple, planning a couple of weeks in February. Which beach area would be better for snorkling, as distinct from diving? Also, it is not often clear on the websites which resorts are all-inclusive (meals, drinks, entertainment). We're looking for good food variety in an all-inclusive package.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,621 posts
331 reviews
1. Re: hopkins or placencia

I can't help with what resorts might include food in those areas; we generally prefer to prepare some of our own meals and choose the others from local options.

For what it's worth, though, neither Hopkins or Placencia is a great base for snorkeling in my opinion; the reef is 12-15 miles off shore so accessing snorkeling requires long boat rides. If snorkeling is a priority, consider 1 of the northern cayes (Ambergris or Caulker) which are very close to the reef. Even then you'll require a boat to access snorkeling the vast majority of places. One exception I can personally recommend is Tranquility Bay Resort; give it a look:

www.tranquilitybayresort.com/index.html

You can check out a blog post from our recent stay here:

http://hopefulistinlatinamerica.blogspot.com/

Have a great trip, whatever you decide - happy trails!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: hopkins or placencia

Many thanks for this idea. Tranquility Bay looks amazing for a quiet get-away and good snorkling. Unfortunately we are also hoping to spend time at Mayan ruins and jaguar preserve, etc on the mainland, so we'll need to decide on one or the other as the priority.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,621 posts
331 reviews
3. Re: hopkins or placencia

The easy answer is to split between 2 locations; most of us visiting Belize do that. Both Cayo District in the west and Toledo District in the south are great options imo. Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,543 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: hopkins or placencia

You can base in Hopkins or Placencia for the Jaguar Preserve. Toledo has a few Mayan sites. Cayo has more excavated and impressive sites

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,621 posts
331 reviews
5. Re: hopkins or placencia

Likely your best wildlife viewing would be at Tikal, a few hours over the border in Guatemala.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
6. Re: hopkins or placencia

If you have a couple of weeks, then choose at least 2 places, if not 3. Cayo is a good start, and then you could end it on the beach down south. Be sure and hit the zoo on your way around.

Punta Negra
Level Contributor
53 posts
93 reviews
7. Re: hopkins or placencia

There are many snorkel spots at the inner cayes off of Placencia - one does not need to head all the way to the reef to get great snorkeling in Belize.

Splitting your trip between either Cayo and Toledo and then Placencia or the Cayes would cover all of your bases.

You may want to reconsider the all inclusive option though. You will pay a premium for it typically in Belize and wind up not getting to experience much of what makes Belize unique.

Edited: 08 November 2012, 05:52
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
8. Re: hopkins or placencia

I've yet to hear of a decent variety with an AI here, or an AI that seemed worth it. There is such a great variety of places, that an AI really doesn't make sense.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
9. Re: hopkins or placencia

My husband and I will be in Hopkins for a few days and then staying in the Mayflower Bocawina National Park for four nights in late April. Do you know if a day trip to Tikal National Park in Guatemala is an option? Is there a bus tour that you know of? Thanks!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
10. Re: hopkins or placencia

My husband and I will be in Hopkins for a few days and then staying in the Mayflower Bocawina National Park for four nights in late April. Do you know if a day trip to Tikal National Park in Guatemala is an option? Is there a bus tour that you know of? Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Hopkins
Recent Conversations