We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Dangriga to Hopkins to Placencia

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
27 posts
59 reviews
Transportation from Dangriga to Hopkins to Placencia

My husband and l will be travelling from Dangriga to Hopkins, then a few days later from Hopkins to Placencia, next month. We've been to Belize many times, and have spent time in Placencia, but this will be our first time in Dangriga or Hopkins. I was thinking of taking the bus between towns, but am having a little bit of trouble tracking down the details and determining if this is a good idea. We are pretty comfortable navigating, and are not afraid to walk a bit. My main concern is the timing and duration of the trip. The leg from Dangriga to Hopkins will need to be done on a Sunday. The Hopkins to Placencia leg is a Thursday I believe.

Can anyone who has made this trip recently weigh in with some details? Do the buses leave on time, are there posted schedules, was it relatively easy to figure out where to get on and off?

Also, in the past we've had good luck finding a willing driver between towns; does anyone have suggestions for where in Dangriga or Hopkins to ask around to hire a driver, if the bus turns out to not be convenient? Also estimates on price?

Thanks!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Transportation from Dangriga to Hopkins to Placencia

The bus usually leaves on time. The bus between Dangriga and Hopkins I am not very sure about. The bus schedule from Dangriga to Placencia is very efficient and comfortable. The price for that trip is BZ $10 / US $5.00.

If this does not work for you, you can try Barefoot Services in Placencia, they provide transfers between these 3 locations very often. contact them www.barefootservicesbelize.com

Hopkins
Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Transportation from Dangriga to Hopkins to Placencia

On Sunday there is only one bus from Dangriga to Hopkins, $5BZ. It leaves the bus terminal at 5:15p.m., pretty much on time. If this is not a convenient time for you, you can take a James bus going to Punta Gorda. They leave pretty much every hour at a quarter after the hour and their schedule is posted at the bus terminal and easy to read. You would get off at the junction of the Southern Highway and Hopkins Road and hitch hike the four miles into the village. You can take a taxi from Dangriga to Hopkins, the going rate is $40US

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
27 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: Transportation from Dangriga to Hopkins to Placencia

Thanks, that's super helpful! I'm going to look into the transfer rates from barefoot.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,599 posts
331 reviews
4. Re: Transportation from Dangriga to Hopkins to Placencia

Very helpful transportation site:

www.belizebus.wordpress.com

5. Re: Transportation from Dangriga to Hopkins to Placencia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 December 2012, 03:35
Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,017 posts
6. Re: Transportation from Dangriga to Hopkins to Placencia

I think the previous post referred to a water taxi service operating between Dangriga and Hopkins.

I know this is a useless request, but could the moderators of this forum provide the reason this information was deleted?

I'd like more information on this service.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,479 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Transportation from Dangriga to Hopkins to Placencia

Do you suppose the people in charge thought it was advertising. Although I don't get that way often, I'd like to know about it too.

Such a silly thing to delete.....

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,017 posts
8. Re: Transportation from Dangriga to Hopkins to Placencia

I have the links from another member (thank you), and will put the information on the BelizeBus site -- I won't add the BelizeBus link here in case I get charged with advertising too (it's happened before). How silly!

Apparently, it's a company offering a boat for hire. They are based in Hopkins and one of their services is a water taxi service, but the service is not regular -- passengers have to pre-arrange the service with the company. I hope this message doesn't offend the forum police because the service offered seems to be something that would be of interest to many visitors to the region.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,599 posts
331 reviews
9. Re: Transportation from Dangriga to Hopkins to Placencia

Thanks again for your wonderful blog, MisterB - I've often wished for a similar resource for Honduras and Guatemala.

10. Re: Transportation from Dangriga to Hopkins to Placencia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Hopkins