We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chabil Mar Villias, Jaguar Reef Lodge, or Robert's Grove??

Which Hopkins hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Chabil Mar Villias, Jaguar Reef Lodge, or Robert's Grove??

I am traveling to Belize for a week in December with my mother and my boyfriend. My boyfriend and I are both 20, my mother is 50, and we are all looking for a relaxing yet adventurous vacation. My mom is interested in an all-inclusive package, but I cannot figure out if any of these resorts offer that. Also, not sure whether it is better to stay near Hopkins or Placencia (leaning towards Placencia). We have been researching into these three hotels, but would like to hear the thoughts of others regarding their pros and cons before we make a decision on which to commit to for a week. We would like to be near activities such as zip lining, cave tubing, and the other adventures that Belize offers.

We appreciate any insight you can offer on these three hotels and on Belize in general!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
280 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chabil Mar Villias, Jaguar Reef Lodge, or Robert's Grove??

If you are staying in Placencia an all-inclusive package might not be the best way to go. Placencia has so many great restaurants it is definitely worth to give them a try.

In order of preference:

1. Chabil Mar is beautiful, aprox 1 mile from the hearth of the village you can ride a bike, walk or use the hotel free shuttle to visit the village regularly. Landscape is beautiful and they have amazing staff that will ensure you are always well taken care of - their two bedroom villas might also be a good option for your guys, villa #6 and #11 are my favorites, #18 has a really cool "jungly" decor too.

2. Roberts Grove is 4 miles away so a much longer distance from the village, much larger than chabil mar, 3 restaurants on site, on site dive operation and tours (pricier than booking with local operators) nice resort too I would go with Chabil Mar if you decide to stay in Placencia though.

Hopkins - closer to several inland activities, like the Ziplines, waterfall rappelling, cockscomb Jaguar preserve, river tubing and horseback riding are all under 40 minutes - compared to Placencia which would be around 1 hour + drive.

Both beautiful locations, Hopkins still being a traditional cultural village with less development compared to Placencia.

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
718 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chabil Mar Villias, Jaguar Reef Lodge, or Robert's Grove??

We stayed at Chabil Mar last December. It's a nice hotel and offers complimentary drop off and pick up service to the village. You don't need to worry about all inclusive. There are so many wonderful restaurants in the village. Placencia is charming and so we've decided to go back again this December.

You can do many trips out of Placencia to make your holidays as exciting as possible. If you like swimming, I'd recommend a half day snorkelling trip to nearby Lark Cayes.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
115 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chabil Mar Villias, Jaguar Reef Lodge, or Robert's Grove??

I'm not familiar with Hopkins other than what was said in the other replies. I am in Placencia now and at Chabil Mar. Wonderful Belizean village of very friendly and welcoming people. For me, just the right pace. Quite a few restaurants and street vendors and nightlife to be able to have a lot of variety of eating choices while not feeling touristy. Chabil Mar is superb. I have stayed here before. Love the surroundings and the service and food is superb, but no need to do all inclusive when you have so many options at your fingertips in the village. Love that you can get into and out of the village at your leisure in ten minutes on a bike or walk along the beach in fifteen or twenty. Free shuttle in the evenings comes in handy too.

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
450 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chabil Mar Villias, Jaguar Reef Lodge, or Robert's Grove??

We stayed at the Almond Beach last Christmas. One of our main reasons was it was less distance for tours. In regards to the all inclusive option here I would have recommend a pass. Meals here are inexpensive and the Almond/Jaguar restaurant was the worst food we encountered. There are many good places to eat off the hotel site and you would be worse for wear for not exploring them. The main thing about the Hopkins area that you must consider is there is very little night life ton e found here. This area is all about what you do do with your days. It is one of the best places to relax and chill that we have ever been to.

Level Contributor
7,832 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chabil Mar Villias, Jaguar Reef Lodge, or Robert's Grove??

Skip the all inclusive...usually people regret it once they are there except I would ask for breakfast to be included in the rate. I can't speak to the other properties but Chabil Mar is a very nice low key condo/hotel and should offer you a nice choice of accommodations where everyone would have some privacy which could be important for a one week stay. You can call them and they are very helpful...they also are very popular so check to make sure they are an option...nothing worse that getting set on a property only to be told they are fully booked. Good location, helpful staff and while not cheap a good value.

6. Re: Chabil Mar Villias, Jaguar Reef Lodge, or Robert's Grove??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Hopkins