We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to Hopkins

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Heading to Hopkins

I'm thinking of heading to Hopkins from Belize the day I land. I land at 11am and was hoping to get a bus to Hopkins or near by the same day. I land on a Sunday and wondered what the buses are like on Sundays and if its possible to get there in time. I've been looking and considered stopping on the way. I wonder if any one has any advice or good ideas.

Also, is Hopkins a good base for the south, I may head further down but not sure yet. I wondered if Placencia is a bit too touristy as I like it a bit more laid back?

Thanks

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,342 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Heading to Hopkins

If you want to get to Hopkins by bus on the same day, I wouldn't stop anywhere along the way -- you might not have enough time.

From the airport, get a taxi (BZ$50) to the bus terminal in Belize City. You might be able to get there cheaper by finding someone to share the taxi with (don't let the taxi driver know), or going out to the highway and getting a bus for a BZ$ or two.

At the bus terminal, try to get a James Bus Line bus to Dangriga. James is recommended so you don't have to change buses anywhere. Here's a link to the schedule...

https:/…belize_bus_times.html

If there isn't a James bus, get any other bus to Belmopan and change to another bus to Dangriga.

The bus to Hopkins departs from Dangriga Monday through Saturday at 10:30 am and 5:15 pm, and on Sunday, only at 5:15 pm. Fare: BZ$5.

If you arrive too late for the Hopkins bus, you can go by taxi.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,294 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heading to Hopkins

We have enjoyed both Hopkins Village and Placencia but prefer Hopkins. Don't miss an evening of Garifuna drumming at the Lebeha Center!

www.lebeha.com

We really enjoyed our week in/around Punta Gorda in August 2012 and are heading back in the spring. My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails! flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Heading to Hopkins

Thanks Guys,

Thanks for the bus advice, that's really helpful. I've decided to stay in Hopkins to start with for 5 days, then head up to Cayo, then north and end up on Caye caulker. I think I will have to miss Punta Gorda this time because of time constraints. I was wondering if anyone thought it was worth stopping in Placencia for a couple of nights, I guess the only reason for this was to see it and visit Monkey River.

Also, I'm thinking of hiring a car for a couple of days, maybe in Hopkins but also around Cayo as there are a few places I would like to visit. Any idea how expensive they are to hire. Obviously, I'll look in to it but wondered if any one has any experience.

Cheers

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,294 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heading to Hopkins

If 'up north' puts you on the New River heading to Lamanai, I wouldn't worry about Monkey River since they're similar sorts of trips as far as the river part goes. How much time for your whole trip?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Heading to Hopkins

Hi

I have 20 days in Belize. I also want to spend time in Cayo then head North for a few days and then end up probably in Caye Caulker..

I want to stay in Hopkins (have now booked 5 days) but wondered whether to quickly visit Placencia although that may take out extra days from my trip.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,294 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heading to Hopkins

You have time and it's a different seeming place than the others. Can you stay flexible about that or are you needing to decide in advance?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Heading to Hopkins

I guess I can be flexible but I would like to try and book in advance. Sometimes I leave things a bit open but with it being high season I thought it best to book ahead. Plus no worries about finding some where to stay.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,294 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heading to Hopkins

I'm generally a book-aheader, too. I wouldn't add Placencia unless you feel you can have 3 nights there - a full day to explore the town and beach and relax, and a day for the Monkey River trip. I wouldn't waste the time on the road for just 1 or 2 nights. Here's where we stayed (loved it):

http://oneworldplacencia.com/

Happy trails!

Houston, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Heading to Hopkins

Hi,

Please, can you recommend day tours? My daughter (her spring break) and I are planning a week in Hopkins Village and would like to visit and snuba one of the cayes (not sure which), would like to visit the Mayan ruins, and maybe do a jungle tour but we don't know any local Hopkins tour companies and the resort's tours are expensive.

I hope you can help me.

M C

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heading to Hopkins

For scuba, Hopkins Underwater Adventures and Hamanasi Resort. Happy go Luckie Tours are licensed tour operators and Luckie Nunez is a licensed and very experienced scuba instructor, but I am not sure if they offer scuba tours. For land tours Charlton Castillo is a licensed tour operator, again with tons of experience, and very professional.