We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Almond Beach Resort

Which Hopkins hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Almond Beach Resort

Hey There! I'm heading to Belize for the first time with my wife. We're doing the Almond Beach Resort Jungle and Beach package (3 days inland, for at Almond Beach Resort.). I've found some great food recommendations on this page, but am curious about a few things:

1) How hard is it to get a shuttle or ride from this area to the Dangriga airport? How costly? The hotel is quoting us for a "transfers package" from BZE to and from the hotels is $368.13 US for two people. This supposedly includes flights from BZE to Dangriga and then shuttles from there.

2) How hard is it to book a tour to go see the blue hole from this area of the country? Any recommendations on who to talk to? We're not scuba certified, but we'd like to snorkel.

3) Any "must do" activities, tours, restaurants, locations, etc? We're trying to see Tikal and the barrier reefs....but beyond that we're very open minded.

4) Any other practical suggestions would be amazing with regards to what to bring, what to wear, how to act ,etc.

Thank you in advance! Have a great day.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Almond Beach Resort

1 Easy, taxi from Hopkins to Dangriga airport should be around $50US. Check out Maya Island and Tropic Air web sites for cost of flying from the International airport to Dangriga

2. Again easy, but a long boat ride and expensive. Hamanasi Resort and Hopkins Underwater Adventures do the trip.

3 Tikal is a long trip. I would not do it in one day. Better to fly directly to Flores from the International airport and spend a night or two at the park. Depending on your arrival time you could do that trip first and take a private transfer right to Almond Beach; or do the reverse on your way out

Must dos are to go into the village and eat Garifuna food at Innes or Laruni Hati and take a drumming lesson or watch a performance at the Drumming Center.

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
437 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Almond Beach Resort

If you have not considered it check into the cave tubing excursion. Very unique and educational. Do yourself a favour and be sure to check out the local places to eat. I know it is a small area but the food is fantastic. The restaurant in the Almond Beach was the worst we saw in the area.

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
437 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Almond Beach Resort

Try contacting the resort. We did and they had a driver meet us at the airport and picked us up.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Almond Beach Resort

Thanks for all the info so far guys!

I'm assuming the taxi from the Sleeping Giant location is quite a bit more than $50, so i'm considering just paying the hotel transfer costs. If we do Tikal, we'll do it from Sleeping Giant, not from Almond Beach, so that should cut down the time it takes to get there quite a bit.

Anyone have experience with specific guides? I've emailed a few and they all seem very friendly and competitive price-wise. Given the personal nature of the tours I was wondering if anyone really stands out?

Boston...
Level Contributor
184 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Almond Beach Resort

Love on the Rocks is a must try restaurant in Hopkins Village

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
437 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Almond Beach Resort

Did you try contacting the resort? When we did the the transfer was at no cost. Do try. Best day spent on tours was the cave tubing. Learned a lot and was a truly unique experience.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Almond Beach Resort

Hi - I actually just returned from staying at Almond Beach Resort and Jaguar Reef Inn. You're in for an amazing getaway!

1. I would recommend going with the hotel for the transfers. They have two employees - Gabby and Cipriano - whose job it is to transfer guests to and from the airport and other spots. It's totally convenient, no extra bill to attend to (everything is just included in your room bill), plus both Gabby and Cipriano are super nice, friendly and eager to share tidbits about the destination with hotel guests.

2. I had the same question as you did about going to Tikal. After months and months of research (and going onto TripAdvisor forums) I found a company called Roam Belize, which offers several land tours from Hopkins, Placencia and Dangriga, including a fantastic day in Tikal. All of the other tour companies only leave from Western Belize, not the eastcoast where you are staying. So, Roam Belize was such a gem to find! The cost was $275/person and included taxes, pick up to and from hotel, park fees, lunch at an authentic Guatemalan restaurant, border fees, free water and soda during the trip, and complimentary WiFi in the van. They company is locally owned, their names are Julie and Angel. We had such a great time and I just left them a review a couple of hours ago on TripAdvisor (though it hasn't shown up yet).

They have connections to several other outfitters in the country, so I suggest you call them and ask about a trip to the Blue Hole. They'll be able to plan a trip around it.

Have a wonderful time! I just returned from Belize two days ago and I already miss it.

8. Re: Going to Almond Beach Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Hopkins