We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please help a first timer

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
please help a first timer

First time to costa rica...planning a 10th wedding anniversary....love activities....zip line....surf...a little adventure....we are not the type to relax all day...(although it sounds nice)...We will be flying in to Liberia...will rent a car so we can get around. Looked at Flamingo Beach resort based on a recommendation and also, four seasons...because my husband likes them. Not sure of the areas....I want good beach...lots of fun...and pretty nice....can anyone help?

Thanks

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,944 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please help a first timer

You will love Costa Rica. IMO head up towards Arenal. Some of the best adventure tours are up that way, plus the volcano and hotsprings. Nayara Resort is great for a few nights - http://www.arenalnayara.com/ then head to the beach. Gives you a great mix and a lot of fun. For the coast you have Tamarindo, Ocotal, Coco, Hermosa, the Paradisus is a great luxury option on a great beach Playa Conchal - http://www.paradisus-playa-conchal.com/ You combine those 2 hotels and you have a very nice anniversary IMO.

Cheers & Congrats

Inca

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: please help a first timer

Paradisus Playa Conchal...really nice place...JW Marriot at Pinilla great resort as well...

Of course if you can split your vacation and spend some nights in Arenal Volcano area...that will be fantastic...great area for soft adventure tours...zip lines...hiking...hot springs...rafting...canopy...waterfalls...

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: please help a first timer

The Four Seasons Papagayo is excellent - but a little further away from things than Paradisus Conchal or JW Marriott. If you are planning on spending most of your time at the resort, Four Seasons would be fine.

Another one to consider to Punta Islita - they have a great website you can check. It's a little more difficult to get to but an amazing place.

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
747 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: please help a first timer

Congrats on the anniversary!

I agree with the others - split your time to get two different types of environment. Huge difference between Flamingo BR and 4 Seasons! 4 Seasons is very isolated. Good for relaxing in luxury but far from activities.

You could also check the Diria Hotel in Tamarindo or Capitain Suizo.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: please help a first timer

The Four Seasons is wonderful. There are a bunch of activites you can do, but its also a wonderful place to lay on the beach and go to the spa to relax. When we were there we only left the resort twice to do the zip line and we rented a boat to go on a sunset cruise. So, I think its what you make of it. I will say, to really go anywhere outside of the resort, its a bit of a drive...

The resort itself is beautiful and the staff is wonderful. Its is definitely a place I would like to celebrate my 10 year anniversary one day.....

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
82 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: please help a first timer

Hey and Congrats!

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon there and loved it!

Playa Conchal is very nice. I wasn't overly inpressed with the beach at Coco. So I would recommend Conchal.

If you are looking to do some tours, I highly recommend Amy from Avispa Adventures. She is awesome and will really work to organize a tour to be what you want.

I am so happy to hear you rented a car. We did that too. I recommend getting a gps. They let you know when one lane bridges are coming and everything! Ok, since you have a car, I highly highly recommend spending at least 2 days at Arenal Volcano. It was the best part of our trip and I really wish we spent more time there. Arenal Lake is breathtaking. There is one road that runs around the lake to the volcano. The drive is amazing! Great views and different types of plant life. There are all these adorable little towns you drive through. I felt like I was seeing the real costa rica since the beaches in papagayo tend to be very touristy. We did ziplining at Arenal and got to see the volcano erupt. So please take a few days to go and see it. I promise you won't be disappointed.

7. Re: please help a first timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2011, 05:16