We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OMG - "northamerican people drinking and eating in the pool"

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
OMG - "northamerican people drinking and eating in the pool"

The latest Occidental Grand review - I can't believe that northamerican people would be drinking and eating in the pool - what are we going to do?

Once again the reviewer has only posted 1 review. So if this reviewer paid for the vacation and only stayed 2 hours - is there another great review on another resort somewhere?

Do your research travellers. Read the reviews. Read the forums. That's why this site is so useful.

And for heaven's sake, watch out for those "northamerican people" - obviously they can ruin anyone's vacation. Just so I get this right - northamerican people include: travellers from the United States, Canada, Mexico and Central America - including - oh shock - people from Costa Rica !

Sorry, I'll get off this now.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: OMG - "northamerican people drinking and eating in the pool"

I read that review and it is really strange.

I am always suspicious of a review like this. The Occidental has had its share of problems but - no shower curtain "so I could not take a shower" huh?

Some of the other stuff written in this review just doesn't ring true.

As Gailieb wrote - do your homework. No one should ever depend on just one review of a hotel.

I do like that part about "northamericans"! The person writing the review is listed as being from Melbourne, Florida so ????

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,817 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OMG - "northamerican people drinking and eating in the pool"

Too funny... that made me laugh out loud!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OMG - "northamerican people drinking and eating in the pool"

haha made me laugh out loud too.

If you do your homework, you'll find out that the tubs at the hotel don't have shower curtains, they have shower guards - and you can take a shower with the shower guards.

I hesitate to read the "1 review" reviews, they're usually not that great - but there was one there recently that was great - so that balances itself out doesn't it?

In one of the other forums someone was complaining about the "loud Canadians" - I wonder if this is the same person? haha

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OMG - "northamerican people drinking and eating in the pool"

On the other hand, I have read reviews where people complain about the "loud and obnoxious locals!" Go figure......

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: OMG - "northamerican people drinking and eating in the pool"

Reviews should be taken like some Olympic sports. Take out the worst one and take out the best one....

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OMG - "northamerican people drinking and eating in the pool"

Hard to understand some people...very hard...but it is a wonderfull life overall!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
459 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OMG - "northamerican people drinking and eating in the pool"

So someone traveled to Costa Rica and stayed at an all inclusive and is complaining that he had to share the pool with people from North America. Geez!

To be fair, the hotel did forget to post a disclaimer that there were going to the northamericans staying there. jajajaja!

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OMG - "northamerican people drinking and eating in the pool"

Wow. I've never read the rviews of this place until now and was really surprised anyone would want to stay there. Much more bad than good! That would be a serious red flag for me.

As people say, you should really read reviews of any place you are considering staying at. If you don't do your homework, well, you see what can happen....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OMG - "northamerican people drinking and eating in the pool"

Allylam: It's all relative. For me the good outweigh the bad because 90% of the good reviews have all reviewed other hotels before.

Most of the bad have only reviewed once before which only goes to show me - and me only - that they're whiners and only want to discredit the resort. IMHO only.

We're staying there in November and we can't wait to experience all that Occidental Grand and Costa Rica has to offer. We are seasoned travellers who travel with open hearts and minds. We're not picky, we're looking forward to meeting travelers and staff at the resort, trying all the different foods, and relaxing. I'll bet that when we return and I post my review I won't be complaining. We've done our research !

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: OMG - "northamerican people drinking and eating in the pool"

I just wanted to comment, since I've been noticing some mixed reviews for where we're going (Hilton Papagayo). I'm not worried about it either, as I also notice that most of the reviewers are 1 time posters. Unless they're new to TripAdvisor, I'd say this means they aren't seasoned travellers. By seasoned I mean travelling outside of Canada and the USA.

A lot of North Americans seem to expect hotels exactly like at home, instead of realizing that the experience will be different in other countries. So true of these Hilton rewards travellers who have just been to American Hiltons. I can only imagine the shock these people have of a rustic eco-lodge!

Plus people who haven't done all-inclusives really don't seem realistic in their expectations. If they've stayed at AI's in Mexico, Cuba or the DR, I bet their reviews would be much different. How high end do they expect meals to be if the resort including food and booze is cheaper than just a hotel room alone? If you get sick of it, dine out for a change. You'll still save money. Not rocket science. The other joke about people's misconceptions about AI's is that you're trapped in a resort. So untrue. Nothing stops you from getting out with a rental car or taking tours. We like AI's because they're a nice base where you aren't always hauling out the wallet for every drink and morsel of food. Oh, and also because I don't cook on vacation, thanks.