We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel websites

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Travel websites

Need some advice on travel websites. I have found the lowest rate for the Hilton Papagayo with air thru Hotwire. I've never used them. Does anyone know if they let you choose your flight seats when you book? I usually use Expedia but they don't have the flights I want. Used Bookit last year and we didn't have assigned seats. Found out this is a good way to get bumped from a flight. Any advice would be appreciated!

Canada
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel websites

With most airlines you can check in on line 48 hours before the flight and choose you seats at that time. Last time I went down Continental was overbooked but there were offering a $500.00 travel voucher to anyone willing to take a later flight. Nice deal if you are flexable.

california
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel websites

Love the vouchers!

I got one for $800 a couple of yrs ago with Lan and so did my mom & son... so we all (3) ended up with basically a free flight.

Lacey23, I would think it depends on the airline... if you are able to choose your seats... but it should tell you before you pay... if it doesn't then you'd have to wait until 24-48hrs (depending on the airline) to "check-in" and choose your seats.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel websites

I like to use Kayak for finding the best flights.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
188 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel websites

I've found that even with assigned seats, when you check in you have the option to choose your seat - I'm not sure how hotwire operates. I searched through all of the travel sites this year - and ultimately just ended up booking direct through delta cuz it was the cheapest price.

5. Re: Travel websites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 February 2012, 00:14
6. Re: Travel websites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 February 2012, 02:35
Edited: 10 February 2012, 02:35
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,481 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel websites

My advice is to always book directly with the airline. The only problem that I have ever had with airlines and boking seats was with expedia. for my flight this summer it was cheaper directly with the airline.

Loxley, Alabama
Level Contributor
170 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel websites

I booked once with Hotwire. We got a great air/hotel deal but had quite a layover. This was one of those deals where we paid beforehand then found out our flight details. I don't remember whether or not we got to choose our seats. You could contact customer service and ask. It seems like every year we book through a different company. We are always shopping for best prices and have booked through Priceline, Hotwire, Apple, Vacation Express, AA vacations, Travelocity, Expedia, and Orbitz. This year we actually booked our vacation through United Airlines (unitedvacations). You might want to find cheapest flights and try to books your vacation through the airline website. I use yapta to price my flights using flexible dates. This website will also track prices and will alert you if prices drop.

Loxley, Alabama
Level Contributor
170 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel websites

Oh yeah...don't forget to look for discount codes. Also, some airlines like AirTran won't let you choose your seats without paying additional.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel websites

I've priced most of the travel websites. Priced airline and hotel separately. Very expensive! Can get direct flight with hot-wire and they are 700 cheaper than travelocity so we probably book with them.

Get answers to your questions about Gulf of Papagayo