We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive time from the airport

chicago
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Drive time from the airport

Just starting our research! How long should we budget for the drive from the airport to the Allegro Papagayo?

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive time from the airport

15 minutes

chicago
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive time from the airport

Whoa...I must be looking at the wrong airport! It said 113 miles!

Which airport is closest to the Allegro?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive time from the airport

Liberia LIR.

chicago
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive time from the airport

Well, I can fly to Juan Santamaria Int'l in San Jose for $400 a person, but Liberia will be $650/person.

How long would the ride from Juan Santamaria be? Would it be worth the savings?

Edited: 03 January 2013, 15:06
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive time from the airport

It kind of depends on how you go. If you are renting a car and driving from SJO, it will take you about 4.5 hours. So you essentially "miss" a whole day of your vacation. Not necessarily a bad thing - you could enjoy the ride and see a lot of scenery.

If you arrive at SJO sometime after 11:30 am, then that's a problem. Figure it will take you about 1.5 hours to get out of the airport and rent your car. This will put you on the road around 1 pm. Unless you make lots of stops, you should arrive at the resort around 5:30 pm - it will be getting dark.

You really should not drive after dark on your first day in the country - although the last 1/2 hour or so in the dark wouldn't be too bad.

So things to take into consideration:

1. How do you feel about 9 hours of driving vs 1 hour or less of driving?

2. If your flight arrives late, you would need to spend the first night near the airport and drive the next morning. Room cost + food, etc.

3. If your flight arrives late, you could use private transportation from SJO but that adds to the cost - and you still have that "whole day" of travel time.

4. To shorten the time, you could fly from SJO to LIR, but that adds to the cost.

I did a quick check of Kayak and saw a flight from Chicago to Liberia LIR for $527. The cheapest flight I could see from Chicago to San Jose was $480 on Spirit. Of course, ticket prices change from day to day (and sometimes from hour to hour) and not knowing your dates, I just made some up in February.

chicago
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive time from the airport

Thank you, Hattie--that helps immensely! Two hours each way I would have swallowed, but it looks like it will be worth it to pay the extra and go to Liberia. We're coming in June, so I'll just keep an eye on the fares.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive time from the airport

That's probably your best bet, summerbum. Keep checking fares and you can probably find something that's pretty close. I fly out of Liberia a lot and I have often found fares that are the same - or close - as San Jose.

You might also check here: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm

At this website, you can get a calendar that shows a month's worth of the lowest fares each day. I use this a lot as well as Kayak and Expedia and I will also go direct to the airline website.

You can go to FlightStats.com to see which airlines fly into Liberia.

8. Re: Drive time from the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 23:16