We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verizon wireless??

Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Verizon wireless??

We have Verizon for our cellular service. I was wondering about taking our phones on our next vacation to the Hilton Papagayo with us. Last time we went we left them at home, because I wasn't sure about racking up large fees while out of the country. Does anyone have any information on using Verizon in Costa Rica? Can we use our phones and only pull the hotel wifi, and not accrue any extra fees through our cellular company?

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
614 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verizon wireless??

Yes you can just disable data roaming upon landing and enable wifi and if strong WiFi connected you can call use mobile Skype on your phone.

Text messages on verizon is not as bad as a call and u can text free with wifi if u download whasup application and inform the people u want to contact to download

Lakewood Ranch...
Level Contributor
197 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Verizon wireless??

We travel internationally, as well as have friends in other countries, and never rack up international call fees. As the post before me says, just disable roaming and use Skype mobile.

Another option, we love this app, is to use Viber. It is available in the AppStore and allows free internet calls and text from your phone internationally. I use it from home in the US to call friends in other countries or when I am traveling in other countries to call home - no fees and it feels just like using the phone as normal.

3. Re: Verizon wireless??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 05:19