We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Occidental Grand Papagayo in April many questions

Springfield, Ma
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Occidental Grand Papagayo in April many questions

Hello,

we are a group of 8 ladies, late 50;s (ok so I am 60) we usually vacation in Mexico but decided to try something different. have a few question about Occidental Grand Papagayo and Costa Rica.

anyone have 4 room, where your rooms together? we have run into different rooms in different buildings,

we got ocean view, does that mean close to the ocean or just high up so you can see the ocean,

Rain? daily? in April?

beach-- are the loungers moveable? under cover? rocky beach? calm or rough water?

What would be a good day tour, we really do not want to hike all day, a little hiking is ok, would like waterfalls, hot springs, mud baths, maybe a zipline, not really horse back riding. tubing would be fun. Ideas?

Anything else you can tell me.

Thanks

Springfield, Ma
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Occidental Grand Papagayo in April many questions

Thought of something else, I understand as of Jan 1st this is going to be an all adult resort. Any thoughts on if this will make a difference? other than no kids around. Do you think they will add more nighttime entertainment? I have read that it is none to slim.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
328 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Occidental Grand Papagayo in April many questions

Looking for 4 rooms together?

Why don't you check availability at Cristal Azul in Guanacaste?

They rent ONLY 4 villas...maybe can you have the whole site just for you girls! :)

Here's the website about this nice, private and confortable villas in Costa Rica: http://www.cristalazul.com/

Hope this help!

Enjoy your trip!

Springfield, Ma
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Occidental Grand Papagayo in April many questions

Sound lovely, but we are already booked.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Occidental Grand Papagayo in April many questions

Hi Sarahsmom85: I might be able to answer some of your questions.

We stayed at the OG 2 years ago (November) and absolutely loved it. No issues with anything. There are lots of stairs and lots of hills so if you and your travelling companions have trouble with stairs or hills, be forewarned. They do have a little shuttle service to take you around the resort if need be.

Once you arrive (or even email them prior) you can request you and your friends all stay in the same building.

We had Ocean View as well, we were in building 14 (the furthest away from everything as we had requested) and the view was absolutely breathtaking. Every day! However, some reviewers report they too had Ocean View but couldn't see the ocean. I guess it depends on which building you're put into.

Also be prepared for the resort critters - Howler monkeys, Coatamundi's and Racoons..... all fun to watch and hear.

Sorry, don't know about rain in April.

Yes the loungers on the beach are moveable. Just pick them up and drag them to your spot. Not they are not under cover. The beach is fantastic, no rocks. If you walk the beach - to your right, yes it is rocky but there are tons of shells and small pools to discover during low tide. We found the water to be very calm. And warm.

We did the Miravalles tour - little bit of a hike in the "jungle", visit the Volcano and do the mud baths (it was a hoot!) We also did Monteverde which was amazing - but it's a very, very long day but totally worth it.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info. You won't be disappointed by the resort, it's excellent, the staff are amazing and no issues with any of the restaurants, we gained weight (as usual!)

Edited: 03 October 2013, 16:52
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Occidental Grand Papagayo in April many questions

I'm leaving for Occidental Grand next Saturday! Super excited. Nervous about bugs but I'll get over that fear!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Occidental Grand Papagayo in April many questions

I was there in March. No need to worry about bugs, there were no more there than what I see in Wisconsin.

chicago
Level Contributor
466 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Occidental Grand Papagayo in April many questions

We are not going until winter 2014 and the recent reviews scare me a bit....

I am NOT that picky but things like working plumbing are a must.

And descent food, I need to eat every 2 hrs or so when awake.... Reading about the no AC in the buffet/main areas and poor selection make me anxious.

The views/wildlife are a big plus however. I guess we shall see. I am excited to visit CP and the OGP in particular.

I am also hoping that, being the nation's first adult-only place starting 2014, they will up the game a little as far as the food selection/quality.

We always opt for stays at (nicer) adults-only AIs in the Caribbean/MX and find that the food and drink quality is always better then those of family resorts.

I am curious to see if the reviews after Nov 2013 will show quality improvement ;)

Springfield, Ma
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Occidental Grand Papagayo in April many questions

I also am a little worried about the food. We are use to a much larger resort that offer 5 or 6 different place to eat each night. We love to dress for dinner and prefer not to eat at buffet at night.

We also enjoy nightly entertainment. But I think I read that it is only sometimes show and entertainment. We where wondering about the disco. We love to dance and hoping that might be fun. At places we have been to the disco doesn't open until 11 or 12 at night and by that time we are wore out.

I think I read the disco opens at 7 here and info on that.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Occidental Grand Papagayo in April many questions

Shel091, I'm originally from WI and the bugs there don't compare to the bugs here in GA!

I promise to give you guys a full report when I return. The latest reviews don't sound promising for food and service due to slow season. I'm packing snacks just in case!

chicago
Level Contributor
466 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Occidental Grand Papagayo in April many questions

also (and that goes for any CR place of course).... I never stayed anywhere with 95 deg daily high, for vacation. Very apprehensive about that and the lack of AC at the resort.

I hate to sweat while eating...

Also, I read that the sun sets at 5:30pm in Liberia in winter/spring.

That's insanely early.

Oh well. It will be an adventure for sure. I just hope not to go hungry... I am an athlete and need my quality protein every couple of hours :)

But I am really psyched about all the stairs and hills! since gym sounds horrible, that will be a part of daily work out for me and my guy.