We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Garden Inn Liberia Airport or Papagayo Best Location

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Topic
Hilton Garden Inn Liberia Airport or Papagayo Best Location

We are renting a car and travelling through the guanacaste area at the beginning of December for two nights. I am wondering which Hilton to choose. Papagayo is all inclusive but it looks like the Garden Inn is closer to visit Rincon de la Vieja. How far apart are these hotels? Also interested to hear what TOP activities you would recommend for a couple in their early 50s.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Liberia Airport or Papagayo Best Location

I don't know what "TOP" activities are so can't help you with that.

If you are determined to stay at a Hilton (not the best choice.......) then the Hilton Garden Inn is across the highway from the airport and not a good location at all unless you are using it for your first and last night in the country.

The Hilton Papagayo is a little further from Rincon de la Vieja - maybe 20-30 minutes - but a much nicer property.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
96 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Liberia Airport or Papagayo Best Location

Definitely Papagayo but you may want to stay one night in borinquen.com. It's pretty cool for a day and you will probably get a discount on rincon activities. palo verde river cruise isn't too far. youtube it. and borinquen zipline. Jay Villa Nube Nueve

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Liberia Airport or Papagayo Best Location

If you are going to stay somewhere near Rincon de la Vieja, I would choose Hacienda Guachipelin. MUCH easier to get to and very close to the entrance to the National Park. Borinquen is nice if you don't plan on going anywhere else and just spend the day/night there. But it's a lot further from the airport (and from the entrance to the National Park) than either Papagayo or Hilton Garden Inn.

Edited: 06 November 2013, 20:42
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Liberia Airport or Papagayo Best Location

We will be arriving from Monteverde, staying two nights and then heading to Tambor, Tango Mar. We were considering staying at a Hilton hotel only because we have Hilton points and free nights. I should have specified this in my original email. I must say the Borinquen is very tempting. I will research a little further tomorrow before making a decision.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Liberia Airport or Papagayo Best Location

I would also look at the Sugar Beach Hotel. Very nice location and nice hotel.

6. Re: Hilton Garden Inn Liberia Airport or Papagayo Best Location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2014, 06:19