We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers cheques and cash exchange at the Hilton Papagayo

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travellers cheques and cash exchange at the Hilton Papagayo

Wondering if anyone can tell me if the Hilton will cash travellers cheques, or exchange large denominations into smaller ones.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers cheques and cash exchange at the Hilton Papagayo

In general, travelers checks ( or even travelers cheques.....lol) are not widely accepted in Costa Rica. Many bank won't accept them even. If you can't get the Hilton to respond to an email about traveler's checks, I would not bring them.

I am sure, on the other hand, that the Hilton will be able to exchange large denominations into smaller ones. I am assuming you are thinking of US dollars and not Canadian dollars.

Of course, there are ATM's everywhere and many people find it very convenient to just get enough cash for their needs every few days. There are also many places that accept credit/debit cards. Just be sure to check to see what international transaction fees your card would charge you, and what kind of exchange rate you would get and be sure to notify them that you will be using the card out of the country.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers cheques and cash exchange at the Hilton Papagayo

As Hattie suggested, skip TC. Do bring a few US dollars with you, better $20 bills or smaller, use ATMs all over Costa Rica for your colones, you can also use credit cards. Always good idea to have a back up card in case something happens to your first choice. If landing at SJO, there are at least two ATMs to get you started.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers cheques and cash exchange at the Hilton Papagayo

I am always amazed that people still use traveler checks. Then again, I see people pay with checks in the grocery store and am equally surprised.

Stick with modern forms of payment or the ever-popular cash. TC's are a true pain to use in CR and you will find yourself in situations where businesses won't accept them - for minuscule variations in your signature, a bent corner, some dirt on the check, etc.

Unless the Hilton specifically states that they will cash TC's, skip them.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers cheques and cash exchange at the Hilton Papagayo

Does the Liberia airport also have ATMs when you arrive?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers cheques and cash exchange at the Hilton Papagayo

The Liberia airport has an ATM between the door where you exit out of baggage claim/customs and the door that exits the terminal. It will be to your right. There may be another one by now, but this was the only one when I was last there.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers cheques and cash exchange at the Hilton Papagayo

thank you!

7. Re: Travellers cheques and cash exchange at the Hilton Papagayo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 05:17