We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3.5 day/4 night stay at the Andaz - what to do?

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3.5 day/4 night stay at the Andaz - what to do?

I've booked a long weekend getaway to the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo for me and my wife at the end of April. Since we won't have a ton of time, and will want to spend some of it just enjoying (and relaxing at) the resort, I thought I'd come here to ask for suggestions as to what to do while we visit. I'd like get off the property at least a few times and experience the surrounding environment, wildlife, culture, etc. Are there any "can't-miss" things to do, or excursions nearby that would be highly recommended? I'm willing to spend a little money, but wouldn't mind keeping costs down either. Anyway, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated - thanks so much in advance!

Edited: 27 January 2014, 03:05
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3.5 day/4 night stay at the Andaz - what to do?

Will you have a car?

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3.5 day/4 night stay at the Andaz - what to do?

We could...? Nothing's set yet, all I have are our flights and hotel booked. If we're only doing one or two things and they're fairly close to the Andaz, I was thinking maybe we could get away with not getting a car. But if everything is a bit of a drive, maybe getting a car for a day or two would be fun to get us off property and exploring a little.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3.5 day/4 night stay at the Andaz - what to do?

Here's a list with some ideas - much easier to accomplish with a car - but some of them offer organized excursions:

1. Do the One Day Adventure Pass at Guachipelin. www.guachipelin.com

2. Visit Rincon de la Vieja National Park for hiking, volcano, waterfalls, hot springs, mud pots, etc.

3. Go horseback riding, fishing or boating

4. Visit Santa Rosa National Park and see the old farmstead known as "La Casona" - now a museum - it figures prominently in Costa Rican history. There are several nearby trails to choose from and one longish trail ends at a deserted beach.

5. Visit El Viejo Wetlands and take a boat tour through Palo Verde National Park http://www.elviejowetlands.com/

6. Take the boat to Witch's Rock for surfing or just visiting a beautiful beach.

7. Visit the town of Guatil where you can see authentic Chorotega pottery being made.

8. Head to the Tenorio National Park for the hike to the Rio Celeste.

9. Go to Llanos del Cortes waterfall. Huge waterfall with small swimming area. There are often monkeys in the trees overhead.

10. Visit Las Pumas Wildlife Rescue Center in Canas where you can see all sorts of animals, including big cats.

11. Arrange a sailing trip with the Sea Bird out of Playas del Coco. Snorkeling or just a quiet sunset cruise.

12. Take a whitewater rafting trip on the Tenorio River or a float trip on the Corobici River. www.rinconcorobici.com

13. Take a whitewater rafting trip on the Cucaracho River riostropicales.com/index.php/…cucaracho-river

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 3.5 day/4 night stay at the Andaz - what to do?

Wow, thanks for all this - I'll definitely have to wade through this list to check some of these out! Given that we only have 3.5 days, are any of these "can't miss" that you'd recommend over others?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3.5 day/4 night stay at the Andaz - what to do?

It will depend on your interest. You might break it down to: hiking and adventure, wildlife (Palo Verde), culture (Guatil), whitewater rafting, a whole adventure or nature day (Guachipelin). Only you know which if these is more appealing.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3.5 day/4 night stay at the Andaz - what to do?

A day trip to Rincon de la Vieja Volcano area should be on your list. Hattie's list is worth looking.

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 3.5 day/4 night stay at the Andaz - what to do?

I'll definitely sift through it to decide what we'd like to do.

Another question - what would our best option be for transfers from Liberia to the Andaz? Should we set up transfers beforehand, or pay for a taxi? What would a reasonable price be?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3.5 day/4 night stay at the Andaz - what to do?

A taxi would be the easiest.

Because it is a new property, I would only be guessing at a taxi fare - but I would think it would be in the $40-$50 range but possibly a bit more. I'm just basing that figure on the distance from the airport and what it costs to get to other places about the same distance from the airport.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 21:52
Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 3.5 day/4 night stay at the Andaz - what to do?

Are there any good options for private transfers that aren't significantly more expensive than a taxi? I'd contacted Costa Rica Best Trips and they quoted a round-trip private transfer between Liberia and the Andaz for 2 people for $115. Is this reasonable, or could I possibly do better than this?

Edited: 29 January 2014, 21:45
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3.5 day/4 night stay at the Andaz - what to do?

I have no idea who Costa Rica best trips may be...but $ 115.00 round trip sounds about correct!

roadadvisor