We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice please

Penkridge, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
advice please

hi all have just had to cancel holiday to kenya due to the trouble out there and have now booked 2 weeks in guanacaste due to fly end of july we my partner and i would like to visit waterfalls hotsprings and a volcano are there any near where we are staying and how easy are they to get to as louise my partner has arthritic joints also we would like to see the cloud forest how far away is this and what sort of price would it be do we need to stop over for the night are there any recomended nature reserves nearby we are staying at the occidental i take it they do the normal trips are we better off booking at the hotel or does anyone no some one they could recomend

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice please

Wow........ kez4466 -- this is what a period looks like .

Yes, you can visit waterfalls, hot springs and a volcano. Here's a list I made for someone else of some "things to do" in that area:

1. Do the One Day Nature Pass at Guachipelin. www.guachipelin.com

2. Visit Rincon de la Vieja National Park for hiking, volcano, waterfalls, hot springs, mud pots, etc.

3. Visit Rio Perdido for hot springs and spa

4. Visit Santa Rosa National Park and see the old farmstead known as "La Casona" - now a museum - it figures prominently in Costa Rican history. There are several nearby trails to choose from of various lengths.

5. Visit El Viejo Wetlands and take a boat tour through Palo Verde National Park http://www.elviejowetlands.com/

6. Take the boat to Witch's Rock which people do for surfing or just visiting a beautiful beach.

7. Visit the town of Guatil where you can see authentic Chorotega pottery being made.

8. Head to the Tenorio National Park for the hike to the Rio Celeste.

9. Go to Llanos del Cortes waterfall. Huge waterfall with small swimming area. There are often monkeys in the trees overhead.

10. Visit Las Pumas Wildlife Rescue Center in Canas where you can see all sorts of animals, including big cats.

11. Arrange a sailing trip with the Sea Bird out of Playas del Coco. Snorkeling or just a quiet sunset cruise.

12. Take a whitewater rafting trip on the Tenorio River or a float trip on the Corobici River. www.rinconcorobici.com

13. Take a whitewater rafting trip on the Cucaracho River riostropicales.com/index.php/…cucaracho-river

14. Go to the MIravalles area and visit Las Hornillas.

For the cloud forest - you should plan on spending a few days in the Monteverde area. It's not suitable for a day trip from the Occidental.

You can book any excursions from the hotel, yes, or contact one of these tour agencies: CR Unique, Tours Your Way or Papagayo Vargas. Jacamar is also quite good.

If you book a car for at least part of your visit, you can do many things on you own.

Penkridge, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice please

thank you that gives us some great places to start

3. Re: advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 05:16