We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming beaches on Nicoya peninsula/Papagayo area?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming beaches on Nicoya peninsula/Papagayo area?

Hi, during DEC 2013 Costa Rica trip, we'll need 1.5-2 days to recuperate after Monteverde and Rincon de la Vieja, and before Manuel Antonio and Corcovado.

What is the best non-crowded area with nice swimming beaches? We will have 4x4 drive car.

Thanks,

Jacob

8 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,952 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming beaches on Nicoya peninsula/Papagayo area?

I have no idea of your itinerary..but there are some many nice beaches aroun Guanacaste...remember is summer most of our kids are in vacation...and great number of nice visitors...

Roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming beaches on Nicoya peninsula/Papagayo area?

Many, many beaches.

I would check out Playa Hermosa. Quiet town, nice beach - perfect for "resting." For more activity, you can easily visit Playas del Coco - about 20 minutes away.

Also take a look at Hotel Sugar Beach.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
96 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming beaches on Nicoya peninsula/Papagayo area?

I would definitely go to Hermosa. Look into staying at villa del sueno. It's really nice and 50 meters to the beach. For a day trip I would check out the black sands of Ocotal. Follow the sign to picante. Let then know you plan on eating lunch and you can use the facilities.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming beaches on Nicoya peninsula/Papagayo area?

Thank you, Roadadvisor.

I'll keep in mind that it is vacation time, and should count on traffic, and busy hotels.

Plan for this part of the trip - spend a night in Liberia (after 2 half-days in Monteverde).

Early morning drive from Liberia to Rincon and do Catarata hike; later in a day drive to some beach area (2 out of 3 recommended Playa Hermosa area).

Spend 2 nights and 1.5 days swimming, may be snorkeling, then - drive to Manuel Antonio to continue Costa Rica exploration.

Does it make sense to you? Any recommendations, suggestions?

Regards, Jacob

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming beaches on Nicoya peninsula/Papagayo area?

Thank you, BostonGringo -

So far 2 out 3 recommendations are for Playa Hermosa.

I checked villa del sueno on a web - it is ~$52/night for 3 people. Is it too good to be true?

Also, is it safe to leave a car at remote beach? I see occasional horror stories about slashed tires, stolen luggage, etc... It contradicts so much with general friendly atmosphere in a tourism oriented, beautiful country, but it sure could ruin one's vacation.

Regards, Jacob

boston, ma
Level Contributor
96 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming beaches on Nicoya peninsula/Papagayo area?

could be. Some of the rooms by the pool are cheaper. They don't have tv's but nice and clean. Definitely, eat there. It's the best resto in town. Breakfast is an incredible value. You are steps from the beach so leave your car at the hotel. Jay Villa Nube Nueve

aquasport has a good Wed night acoustic guy playing at sunset.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming beaches on Nicoya peninsula/Papagayo area?

Thank you, HattieCostaRica,

Originally, I thought about staying in Samara/Puerto Carrillo, but looks like it is easier to drive from Liberia to Hermosa area, and after the short beach rest, we are planning to go to Manuel Antonio and then to Corcovado.

Regards, Jacob

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming beaches on Nicoya peninsula/Papagayo area?

Never leave your vehicle unattended with your luggage inside, at any time.

Reply to: Swimming beaches on Nicoya peninsula/Papagayo area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted