We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Santa Teresa

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
6 posts
Save Topic
Getting around Santa Teresa

Our countdown has begun - we're leaving for CR in less than a week! We're spending a few days in Santa Teresa at Canaima Chill House, which I am so excited about - I've been ogling that place for like two years!

Here's my question:

My understanding is that Santa Teresa is pretty spread out. To get the most out of exploring the town, we'd like to rent either bicycles or ATVs. My understanding is that ATV rental is something crazy like $70/day, is that true? Can anyone give some info on bicycle rental, what's the best place to go, prices, etc?

I know Canaima Chill House is at the top of a hill, but is the main road through Santa Teresa relatively flat? I'm in decent shape but I'm no Lance Armstrong and riding a bike up a bunch of hills isn't my idea of a relaxing vacation : ) I can deal with pushing it back up the hill to Canaima once or twice a day.

One last question - Any ballpark on how much a cab from Montezuma to Santa Teresa would run? The shuttle I priced wanted $45 and that's exorbitant - that's more than we're paying to go all the way from San Jose to Jaco! How about the bus? Schedule?

Thanks for your help in advance - we're so looking forward to this trip!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Santa Teresa

If you rent the ATV for more then one day it isnt' $70 a day. We got one for 2 days and it was $60 a day. I believe if we would have done more it would have been around $50 a day. I would do a combo of bikes and ATVs. You can cover a lot of ground on the ATV. The bikes can only go so far. Many of the roads need an ATV.

San Jose to Jaco less then$45? Do you mean per person? Montezuma to Santa Teresa is about 45 min. drive and is around $45, but not per person, total.

Phoenix, Arizona
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Santa Teresa

This website quotes $40 per person:

transportation-costarica.com/index.php/shutt…

Crazy! Yes, I meant per person for the $45 rate from San Jose to Jaco, too.

Even $50 is an awful lot for an ATV when you can rent a car worth a heck of a lot more money for half the price... Which we really don't want to do either. We're in the area for 4 days - maybe we'll rent an ATV one day and do bikes the rest. Transportation costs are quickly becoming the most expensive part of the trip!

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Santa Teresa

It is expensive renting quads! It's almost less expensive to rent a car! bikes are the least cost, Santa Teresa has very flat roads except up to your accommodations!

How are you getting from Jaco to Montezuma?

If you take a shuttle from San Jose to Santa Teresa, it costs $45. I doubt it will cost $45 to hire a cab from Montezuma to Santa Teresa. If you are catching a boat from Jaco to Montezuma, then you can catch a local bus up to Cobano and connect with the bus to Santa Teresa. They only run a couple of times a day though.

Perhaps it would cost less if you catch a shuttle from Jaco to Santa Teresa if you are finding the transportation cost too much....or go straight from San Jose to Santa Teresa and skip Jaco.

Phoenix, Arizona
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Santa Teresa

Skipping Jaco isn't an option... We'll pay what we have to pay, I'm just trying to find the most cost effective way to get from Montezuma to Jaco : ) We're taking a water taxi from the Jaco area to Montezuma. Zuma Tours is quoting about $50 per person including taxes ($45 each before taxes).

Frankly when we're in Santa Teresa we're more interested in getting around to the different beaches than anything else, so bicycles might be our best bet. Like I said, I don't mind pushing a bike up the hill to Canaima once or twice a day!

Toronto
Level Contributor
74 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Santa Teresa

getting around Santa Teresa by bike will work. I always bring my own bike light for night rides and bike lock. roads can be rutted and very dusty. Riding goggles for the dust makes biking more enjoyable.

www.birdzeyewear.com goggles are inexpensive and have day/night lenses that can be interchanged.

Phoenix, Arizona
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Santa Teresa

Oops, in my last post above I meant the most cost effective way from Montezuma to Santa Teresa, not Montezuma to Jaco.

Thanks for the advice on the goggles! Should we bring hankies to cover our mouths/noses from the dust, too?

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around Santa Teresa

You can take the bus. That is very inexpensive.

8. Re: Getting around Santa Teresa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 06:18