We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Teresa to Montezuma

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Teresa to Montezuma

How long does it take to drive from Santa Teresa to Montezuma? I heard there was a short cut. Is this true?

Thanks!

Del Soul Surf School
Sports Camps & Clinics, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Pura Vida Surfers
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma

There is a short-cut that is passable in the dry seaon. I live in Montezuma, and I drove it a couple of weeks ago and it ihas not rained much since then, so I think you will still be good. But check locally before you set out.

When you leave Sta Teresa towards Cobano, take a right a bit past the gas station and before the restaurant callied 'The Doghouse". The road takes you to an area called Delicias (my neighbourhood). After a few km (maybe 6?) you get to a T junction

At the T junction, turn right again and you will be on the main Cobano - Delicias road. You'll pass a school, and when you get to the Y junction at the cemetary (like 1 .5 km) , bear left, ignore the firts turn off, but aat the next Y junction bear right.

You will pass landmarks, all on the lefthand side of the road - a sign for Anamaya resort. Suntrails Ziplining, Butterfly Gardens. You then hit hit a very steep downhill (take it easy there). At the bottom, turn left and you are virtually in Montezuma.

If you get confused at all through Delicious, just ask somebody, or even better offer them a lift, and they can direct you.

I hope this helps - let me know if I need to add more clarification, preferably PM. I live on the route - so we do this trip pretty much everyday.

If you have to go through Cobano,, the long way, it will take you about 1.5 I'm guessing

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma

Agree with yellowbrick cr...about one hour and half...by Cobano that is the way I´ll take without a 4x4...

roadadvisor

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma

How long does the shortcut take?

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma

The shortcut is about 40 minutes

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma

oops - on the shortcut - I said

"At the T junction, turn right again and you will be on the main Cobano - Delicias road. You'll pass a school, and when you get to the Y junction at the cemetary (like 1 .5 km) , bear left, ignore the firts turn off, but at the next Y junction bear right."

Drop the "ignore the first turn-off" instruction

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma

Sorry for my broken English...I will not take the short cut without a 4x4...

roadadvisor

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma

Hi Road Advisor

My truck has 4x4 - but when I drove the shortcut a couple of weeks ago I did not have to use it at all.

That not to say that you wouldn't need it today after the rain last night, so that's good advice. The conditions can change anytime.

Yellabrick

PS - Your English is not broken at all : )

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma

I think that the 'short-cut' is the route from Mal Pais to Cabuya....at least, that is the short-cut I would take..

It tends to deteriorate quickly when the rains arrive, and parts of the road could be impassable depending on how much rain fell in previous days. Definitely a 4x4 road. If it is passable, it will take at least 20 minutes on a perfect day (dry season after the grader leveled the ruts), could be longer (all day) if you get stuck!

9. Re: Santa Teresa to Montezuma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 12:19