We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snake phobia

Portland, Oregon
2 posts
Save Topic
Snake phobia

Considering I have a real phobia of all sizes/types of snakes, is a trip to Santa Teresa in June 2012 out of the question? We are a group of 10 planning to rent a villa. My biggest fear is finding a snake in the house!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snake phobia

I would say that would be very unlike to happen but... I wish you good luck and hope you have a great trip.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,427 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snake phobia

Dear Pat...you are not the only one...

But do not worry...In my many years I have had seen only one snake inside of my house maybe 40 years ago...but that was in Mata de Limon...when was no road to get there...meaning that was very few houses around my father house...

Chances to find a snake are there for sure...but not many...please relax and enjoy your trip in Paradise!

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,956 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snake phobia

I wake up covered in snakes every single day...

You will be fine. I rarely see them, they are around here and there, but no more so then in the woods in the USA or Canada.

Cheers

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snake phobia

I don't think you have to worry about having a snake in your house. It is highly unusual for them to come inside a house with humans - especially with a large group such as yours!

I lived on a farm here for a number of years and was out in the fields and woods almost every day. In 7 years, I saw three snakes.

I did have a tiny snake in my farmhouse once but that was after a HUGE rain and flooding and he was not much bigger than worm and obviously confused.

Punta Arenas, Costa...
Level Contributor
787 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snake phobia

OP, during the rainy season, you are likely to have an assortment of beetles wander into the house, and I have a rural property...no snakes, but I do find an occasional scorpion....about the length of your finger...and the bug sprays keep them at bay, so I will agree as well, chances of a snake low to zero.

Have a great holiday.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snake phobia

Agree with all the others. I've only seen 2 snakes in the 7 years I've lived here. One was crossing a road, the other was in a tree. Don't worry about snakes!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snake phobia

What is it with Costa Rican snakes? I seem to find snakes everywhere I go hiking. I'm still having trouble telling the false fer de lance from the fer de lance but I'm getting better at identifying them (with the help of guides). Allylam has only seen 2 in 7 years and I seem to find 2-3 snakes each week, BUT they've all been on rainforest trails, not anywhere near lodgings.

Except for the 1st one we found in Manuel Antonio in an outdoor gallery space attached to a restaurant. That thing was 4-5' long but no one on staff seemed the least bit phased by it. I will admit that we never saw a snake anywhere around Santa Teresa, so you should be safe in the house.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snake phobia

I've seen more snakes, poisonous and not, around our house in Anaheim, California than I've seen in CR. For sure they have them in Costa Rica, common sense, watch were you step and grab, carry a flashlight at night,

don't leave any bags or clothing on floor(scorpions and spiders).

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snake phobia

crfan...wow! You must be a snake magnet! HA! But your post did remind me of a thrid snake I saw on a night hike at Drake Bay. I would not have seen it if our guide had not pointed it out. It was in a tree. I have heard about how careful you need to be on hikes, don't try to steady yourseld by grabbing for a tree, watch where you put your feet, etc.....

I'm so glad I have not seen as many as you, I might never want to hike again!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snake phobia

Just don't look for them and you will be fine. I have found the staff is pro active when it comes to snakes. I have only seen one snake in all my visits to CR and that was in MA park and the guide had to point it out. Here at home I see them all the time and I don't look for them here either. The scorpions are the ones that suprise me in ST. Def keep your luggage off the groud. Learned that one the hard way in ST. Don't let any of it make you overly nervous. You are going there to enjoy nature at its finest. It is part of the experience.