We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry w/o car?

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry w/o car?

Arriving San Jose on Friday before Easter and thinking about taking ferry to Tambor on Saturday. One of my thoughts was to get private transpo to ferry and then board without car, get taxi to rental car place since I don't feel like dealing with huge lines or missing a ferry due to over-crowding. I didn't want to take flight because of luggage concerns (i.e. that my luggage might not make it on my flight and would be really expensive to ship as cargo). Anyone have any thoughts on this plan?

Also, I have a family of 6 (4 kids) and if I rent out a vehicle would need something with seating for 6 AND luggage space. I rented out a Prado last time and it worked well, but the rental car companies don't specify a make, only a class. Any sugestions?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry w/o car?

That is a great idea to avoid the lines to get into the ferry to board with a car. You need to tell the rental agency what you need to get for your family, if they can not provide a clear answer or guarantee a car that suits your needs, use another car rental company.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry w/o car?

Keep in mind that you will also be lugging all of your bags onto the ferry if you are not getting a transport all the way. If your concerns are about all of the luggage you will be bringing, then you will have issues when you get dropped off at the ferry and have to carry your bags on board, up stairs, across dirt roads etc, etc. If your kids can help, that is great....if they are not capable of helping, then I would advise getting a driver to take you right to your destination....which likely will not cost much more than you think you may save by breaking up the trip.

I totally agree with MikeA943 on making it clear to the car rental agency what your needs are....and stressing the issue!

3. Re: Ferry w/o car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Santa Teresa