We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone familiar with a destination similar to Santa Teresa?

Copenhagen
3 posts
Save Topic
Anyone familiar with a destination similar to Santa Teresa?

My family and I had a wonderful trip to Santa Teresa/Mal Pais back in 2012 - I believe this was a true paradise. Now we are planning to do a trip again and would like to visit another destination, but I am afraid of being dissappointed. We focus on:

- Surfing

- Good eateries (normally going to tropical destination I am bored of the food after 3-4 days, but the variety of top quality food in Santa Teresa was really th best I have tried)

- Safe to travel with small children

- Good medical services

- Tropical

- Good accomodation very close to the beach within USD 200 per day

Does anyone have any suggestions for destinations?

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone familiar with a destination similar to Santa Teresa?

I doubt you will find anything similar. That is why Santa Teresa has become more populated and more popular in the past 7-10 yrs. It was the best kept secret until then and it has become what it is now.

You will find one or two of your wish list at other places, but not all of them.

The closest I can think of is Montezuma, which isn't far from Santa Teresa....or north to Playa Manzanillo. (very family friendly and nice beach with surf close by at Playa Hermosa). Stay farther away and travel into Santa Teresa for your restaurants.

Maybe someone else can pipe up.

Or check out another country? Nicaragua perhaps???

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone familiar with a destination similar to Santa Teresa?

Maybe Nosara/Playa Guiones? Although "good medical services" is kind of subjective. But if you were happy with Santa Teresa.......

There are also Playas Avellenas and Negra which are famous for surfing and you can easily go into Tamarindo for a huge selection of restaurants (more than 60).

Further up the coast - Playa Junquillal.

Lafayette,CO
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone familiar with a destination similar to Santa Teresa?

You should check out Playa Samara. Small town right on the beach . Really quaint and safe feeling . Kayaking , surfing , a few good eats too.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,145 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone familiar with a destination similar to Santa Teresa?

Samara ...Nosara...Punta Guiones...Garza...

roadadvisor

Berkshire
Level Contributor
638 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone familiar with a destination similar to Santa Teresa?

Hi turbothorup...where did you stay in Santa Teresa? We are looking for a 3bed or bigger , beachfront/pool/air con villa walking distance to restaurants etc...any recommendations?

We have stayed in Playa Grande Guanacaste, but the exact location was not great for restaurants.

Cheers!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,916 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone familiar with a destination similar to Santa Teresa?

Playa Samara on Pacific side, Punta Uva on Caribbean side.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone familiar with a destination similar to Santa Teresa?

bocasecreto:

have you checked out VRBO for the area? Most places are close to restaurants (a huge variety that line the entire strip of 6 K road north to south)....you just have to find something within your budget.

Copenhagen
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone familiar with a destination similar to Santa Teresa?

Stayed in supervista bungalows - Think it had 3 beds

Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone familiar with a destination similar to Santa Teresa?

Around Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean side.

10. Re: Anyone familiar with a destination similar to Santa Teresa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 05:19