We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50+ couple travelling to Santa Teresa. Would love your input

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
50+ couple travelling to Santa Teresa. Would love your input

Hi. We are a social couple in our early 50's and are making our way to CR for the first time. Santa Teresa seems like the place for my husband as it isnt too off the beaten path as he has never travelled outside of Vancouver before and doesnt want to spend a lot of time moving around (think basecamp).

We are going to be looking for accommodation on the beach, with a pool area, hopefully with a small kitchen, maybe a little out of town but close enough to town he won't feel to 'in the woods'. $200 is about all we can afford. We would be staying for 10-12 days after 5 or so days SJ - Arenal/La Fortuna.

I really like the look of Santa Teresa but since my husband doesnt surf and I am not able to anymore is there snorkelling or light swimming there?

Does this sound like a good place for us to 'base'? We won't have a vehicle but hope to rent one for a day or two to explore the rest of the Nicoya beaches.

Any suggestions or input into Santa Teresa would be greatfully appreciated!!!

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 50+ couple travelling to Santa Teresa. Would love your input

Hola pinkduckYVR!

When are you planning on visiting the area? This is an important thing to consider when planning your vacation to Santa Teresa.

Santa Teresa is basically one long stretch of road with accommodations and restaurants lining the road and some places branching off the main drag.

Take a look at the maps available on this site:

www.nicoyapeninsula.com

If you want to stay out of town, you will need a vehicle to get around. So, you will have to either forgo the out of town idea if you don't want to rent a vehicle. It costs less to rent a vehicle for more than one day.....in fact, I doubt you can rent a vehicle for only one day!

You can rent a quad, and you can do that for the day as a method of getting around for a day trip.

There is a lot to explore if you walk the beach. You can grab a cab or the local bus to Montezuma and spend the day exploring there, or go for a hike at Cabo Blanco Park. You will find more freedom of movement if you rent some type of transportation and not have to watch schedules for buses.....or you may find cabbing it around a lot less of a worry, but you will not be going to anywhere off the beaten track and hope a cab will be available for the way back!

There is some snorkeling.....two places are popular, one in the north end of Santa Teresa and one at the very south most end of the road in Mal Pais.

For accommodation:

Have you checked out VRBO to see if you could find a small house to rent for the time you are planning here?

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…santa-teresa

These hotels come to mind:

Oasis www.oasismalpais.com

Milarepa

Otro Lado

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,945 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 50+ couple travelling to Santa Teresa. Would love your input

Santa Teresa does not have a defined town feeling; no town centre to speak of. Walking the road even in green season (June) was not very pleasant, I assume in dry season is a less so. A rental cae is essential as almost all restaurants are quite a walk. We (a social couple in our late 59's) have stayed at Otro Lado Lodge; technically not on the beach yet close enough. The cabin is very comfortable, great porch, kitchen with large fridge. The pool is small but good for a couple of laps, and refreshing also.

Saying all above, for sure we would not stay there for 10-12 days, specially if not into surfing or some serious relaxation. There is just not enough to keep one busy for such a long period, without taking long drives on bad roads /that was the situation as per June 2013). In fact not many beach locations in Costa Rica could qualify for such a long term stay. The two that I think will give you more diversity with less driving are Puerto Viejo on Caribbean side and Dominical/Uvita on Pacific side.

waterloo,ON
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 50+ couple travelling to Santa Teresa. Would love your input

Wefish, you mentioned some decent snorkelling at the north end of Santa Teresa. We will be visiting today from montezuma, any landmarks that could help me find this area? We will have a car

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 50+ couple travelling to Santa Teresa. Would love your input

Sorry I missed your post this morning.

the snorkel spot at the north end of Santa T. is right across from El Ray Patricio and Tapas restaurant.

waterloo,ON
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 50+ couple travelling to Santa Teresa. Would love your input

Thank you, we will try it later on this week!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 50+ couple travelling to Santa Teresa. Would love your input

Hola,

we are currently in CR and were in the Montezuma area last week. While we were planning our trip back a few months ago, we were debating between staying in Montezuma or Santa Teresa for a few days. We picked Montezuma as our base and was happy that we did so. We spent one day last week driving to Mal Pais, Santa Teresa, Playa Carmen and Playa Manzanillo and was happy we did not pick Santa Teresa as our base. Dont get me wrong, Santa Teresa is nice but we definitely much prefer Mintezuma. A lot more to do in Montezumza. We stayed at Hotel Amor del Mar and loved it. We went to the waterfalls, right across the road from the hotel, went snorkeling at Playa Tortuga ... very beautiful. Excellent restaurants walking distance from the hotel.

Overall, Montezuma has been one of our favorite spot in CR.

Have fun!

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 50+ couple travelling to Santa Teresa. Would love your input

We too are a 50+ couple. Like your feedback re Montezuma.

Where are you staying?

What restaurants have you been to that you would recommend?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
267 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 50+ couple travelling to Santa Teresa. Would love your input

My husband and I spent a week last Nov at Montezuma staying at Amor de Mar. We are both 60. It was the highlight of the trip. Lots to do and good eating. And we did not have a car. We were originally going to stay in Santa Teresa but glad we made the switch. We really enjoyed the Kalibo restaurant. Great fish dinners.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 50+ couple travelling to Santa Teresa. Would love your input

We had lunch at Ylang Ylang, dinner at Playa de los Artistas (top notch food, very enchanting and amazing place right on the beach), we went twice for dinner at Puggo's (amazing Sushi)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 50+ couple travelling to Santa Teresa. Would love your input

Santa Teresa is the perfect place for you guys, is really amazing, and specially for a long hospitality.