We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

les Misérables Son & Lumière: What to expect?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
les Misérables Son & Lumière: What to expect?

Yayyy! Just booked tickets for my daughter and me to see this in July. But I have to confess I don't know what to expect. Are there seats? First come first get the good seats, or do you stand around? Any hints and tips to get the most out of it?

My daughter is obsessed with les Misérables (cinema and book) so we've devised a themed holiday, and this will be our first port-of-call.

Thanks!

16 replies to this topic
Pembroke, United...
Level Contributor
181 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: les Misérables Son & Lumière: What to expect?

hi gilli,

i went a couple of years ago, whilst staying in montreuil..

yes you have seats. we sat with a large french crowd.for the life of me, i cannot remember if we had reserved seats with the tickets, but i remember being helped by marshals around the arena.it is held in the open, so check the weather..!"!!..

we had fun,

it was a good night..

dave

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: les Misérables Son & Lumière: What to expect?

Thanks Dave. Hopefully the tickets will arrive in April, so I'll see what it says on them.

Ah yes, the weather. Fingers crossed for that!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: les Misérables Son & Lumière: What to expect?

We were allocated seats in a temporary stand. There were snacks and toilets available. The show itself was fantastic; we booked our holiday dates deliberately to be able to go. It does finish very late, so we got our five year old to sleep first and she just about survived and boasted about staying up until 1 am for months afterwards. Lots of fireworks, good use of lighting and dance. The narration was in French which is fair enough. With charging horses and seemingly a cast of hundreds, it was a real spectacular. You would have to be very fussy to come away disappointed.

Saffron Walden...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: les Misérables Son & Lumière: What to expect?

Hi Gilli. I took my daughters in 2012 when they were 14 and 16. They too are huge fans of Les Mis and really enjoyed the Son & Lumière. However they were disappointed as they were expecting it to contain at least some of the music they've grown to love. It is VERY different from the West End and film productions, but is full of horses & cannons, etc. so is a true spectacle. They didn't understand much if any of the French, but the acting and the atmosphere helped them get what was going on. It was cold when we were there, so take layers - and possibly a cushion - I seem to remember sitting on racks of wooden benches (no numbered seats), like in a circus tent or sporting event. Lastly, it's long. I think it started about 10pm and finished at about half past midnight. I plan to go again. In fact I loved the town so much, I'm in the process of buying a house there, that I intend to move to once my daughter has finished 6th form! Ooh just thought of something else. It does get busy, so if you're driving and need to find a parking space, get there early. If you want somewhere to stay in Montreuil, try Googling Labedelo - I've stayed in 4 of her properties and they're gorgeous and well-equipped. Have a great time! Wendy

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: les Misérables Son & Lumière: What to expect?

Thanks for the heads up, Wendy. My daughter's just taken her French GCSEs and will be taking it for A Level. However, that's ahem, not saying much, these days. I'm hoping I can 'tune in' and get the gist. I understand when people talk directly to me (or at least most of it), but can't 'ear-wig', and have to really concentrate with the TV, as they just talk so damned fast!

My poor old coccyx does suffer with unpadded chairs - I was planning to take an inflatable pillow with me for those hotels who insist on providing only one thin pillow, so I can take that with me.

We're travelling everywhere by train, so won't have to worry about parking. We're staying at The Hermitage in Montreuil.

Our holiday's coming together, and I'm getting really excited about it now. My knowledge of Les Mis is strictly Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman, so I will be sorry not to hear those songs, but my daughter's reading the book, so has a much greater understanding of it all.

Good luck with your house purchase!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: les Misérables Son & Lumière: What to expect?

Maidstonekent (waves - my sister lives just outside, and I'm Kentish born and raised) - oops just seen your reply, so thank you also. That's what I'm hoping for - a grand spectacle that will make us go 'wow!' Can't wait!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: les Misérables Son & Lumière: What to expect?

Just to echo what C&B said. We used Labedelo for accommodation and would recommend them. The only proviso is we paid extra for a house with lots of parking outside, but understanding the town better now, next time would just book the cheapest and walk a short distance from the car.

Enjoy the show. If you remember, can you look in the office de tourisme and come on here and let me know if they do a DVD of the show? I vaguely remember seeing one and regretting not buying it, but wouldn't detour all the way on the off chance. Thanks.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: les Misérables Son & Lumière: What to expect?

OK, will do.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: les Misérables Son & Lumière: What to expect?

Have you attended this event yet?

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: les Misérables Son & Lumière: What to expect?

We went on Saturday. Seats are allocated and it does get a bit chilly.

The event was fantastic but do not expect a musical this is live theatre

at its best.

Great value programme at 2 euros as it includes lots of extras as it is the 20th Anniversary

this year.

Enjoy

Reply to: les Misérables Son & Lumière: What to expect?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Montreuil-sur-Mer
Recent Conversations