We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs, Mozzies and Midges?

Oxford, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
Bugs, Mozzies and Midges?

Hi to all those who have been to Crete. I was wondering if there were noticeable Bugs, Mozzies or Midges? Generally I get bitten alive on holiday - whilst my wife in the same room is never touched. Is there a biting insect problem in Crete in general and Platanias in particular?

Regards,

Graham

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bugs, Mozzies and Midges?

Get a plug in thing as soon as you get there, they really do work, we also burn citronella coils on the balcony at night and that together with some repellant means we can usually leave the doors open at night if it's not so hot to need the air-con.

Did get bitten a couple of times this year, and ran out of hydrocortisone cream, but bought some stuff called betafusin from the chemists in Crete and it is the best stuff i have ever used, instantly stops the itching and works for a good 8 hours, they say you shouldn't use it in the sun but I did with no problems.

The Raki they give you after dinner works too, a tip a waiter gave me many years ago in Rhodes.

Oxford, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Bugs, Mozzies and Midges?

Thanks for the tips, Raki does sound a good idea!

Oxfordshire here too.

Thanks again.

wirral
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bugs, Mozzies and Midges?

Best (and only evidence based) repellent is DEET based which is easily bought online. I use 50% strength and it really is the only topical repellent. Vit b and Avon are not effective repellents. I do agree that citrus based products help a little but they cannot be relied upon. HC cream and anti histamines are always handy to have

Oxford, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Bugs, Mozzies and Midges?

Thanks Nina.

Done a practice pack and have the DEET spray at the top of the bag! Thanks for the welcome advice.

Graham

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
909 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bugs, Mozzies and Midges?

If you have an unhealthy diet of sweets and alcohool, its a guarantee to atract mosquitoes! The blood is sweeter, has more carbohydrates, and they love it! To avoid mosquitoes the natural way, eat garlic! Citronella is an effective and natural (to some extent) ingredient against mossies. I know what most of you think, but thought to inform you of a natural way to avoid mosquitoes!

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
679 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Bugs, Mozzies and Midges?

Last minute thought, I always take a small bottle of neat tea tree oil. Applied directly to a bite it stops inflammation, infection and irritation. Works for me anyway, though not as good as not being bitten. Have a good time. Raki cures anything, if drinking it doesn't fix it then rub it on (that's what I was told in 1993 and I'm not dead yet!)

Baildon, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Bugs, Mozzies and Midges?

I agree with all the preventative measures - citronella, Jungle Formula (or Off! bought in Barbados) but if bitten I rely on Anthisan which helps stop the itching and swelling :-)

Billingham, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Bugs, Mozzies and Midges?

Hi....I too get badly bitten and the reaction is horrendous! However, the last couple of years I have been using the Avon Skin So Soft Dry Oil spray...the original one...and touch wood have not had one single bite. Also use a plug in at night in the room.

Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Bugs, Mozzies and Midges?

Avon 'Skin So Soft' applied to bare skin is fairly effective for deterring mosquitoes but some people don't like the perfume. (Personally, I'd spray myself with cat pee if it worked!)

There's also a black fly - looks like a housefly - that darts at your legs and takes a great bite before you know what hit you! It feels like being stabbed with a pin. These horrible little carnivores can leave you with blood streaming down your leg. They usually appear at the beginning of June. I don't know whether 'Skin So Soft' deters them. All I can say is that I haven't been attacked while wearing it. But the only certain defence is long trousers. They normally attack while you are seated and they are so quick you might not even see them. The bites become itchy afterwards, just like mosquito bites. (They might bite you elsewhere but they definitely love MY legs!)

Treat all bites and stings immediately with Raki or antiseptic.

I take a cetirizene hydrochloride (Piriteze/Piriton) tablet for bad itching. Pharmacies recommend Germolene. Antihistamine cream doesn't seem to be available here (and it doesn't work for me anyway. Only the pills work).

Apparently, there's also something called a "sand fly" that bites, Maybe that's what I've just described but the ones I've encountered were nowhere near sand.

20. Re: Bugs, Mozzies and Midges?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Platanias